Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Help! with Ubuntu and USB wireless adapters

Author Topic: Help! with Ubuntu and USB wireless adapters
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently bought a small used computer so that I could install a Linux distro for virus-free websurfing (although my Mac essentially does the same thing). After doing some research, I decided to install Ubuntu, because I have a Belkin USB wireless wi-fi adapter that works with Ubuntu.

The Ubuntu install was successful, and when I plugged in the adapter, I could note that the computer recognizes it. However, at this point I'm stuck. How do I get the thing to work?

Please keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing about Linux, other than how to install it, obviously. So if anyone can help me, please form your answers in such a way that a five-year old could understand it [Smile]

I have Verizon DSL with a modem/router gateway, if that's any help.

Thanks.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume we're talking about an F5D7050 (v4000 preferably) here? If so, there's a native Linux driver for the chipset it uses, otherwise you'll probably need to install a module called ndiswrapper.

[ February 19, 2007, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember dabbling with Ubuntu about a year ago on my old iBook, and damned if I could get it to see and use the AirPort card.... I eventually just gave up; it wasn't worth the hassle. Hopefully they've made it a little easier these days...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I assume we're talking about an F5D7050 (v4000 preferably) here? If so, there's a native Linux driver for the chipset it uses, otherwise you'll probably need to install a module called ndiswrapper.
Yes, I'm using the F5D7050, although I don't know what you're referring to with "v4000."
Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are several revisions of the F5D7050, "v4000" is just Belkin's name for the latest one (which is however the only version that will work with the driver I mentioned, the earlier models need a bit more love).
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Well, I bought it only a few months ago, so I'm assuming that it's the right one.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

I just checked the box, and it is actually v3000. Will this be a problem?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Cartman
Member # 256

No, but getting the thing to work will be slightly more interesting. First though, you should check whether your machine has ndiswrapper installed already. Start a shell via System -> Terminal (navigate around the start menu if you can't find it), then type 'ndiswrapper' and press enter. If you're greeted with 'command not found', the answer is no, and you'll have to download some packages (which might be hard without an internet connection, so I hope you can arrange one) by entering the command "sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper*" in that same terminal. When you're done with that, the rest should not be difficult.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

First, just to let you know, I'm running Kubuntu, not Ubuntu, because I prefer the KDE desktop over GNOME. I do have the Ubuntu LiveCD, if I need to install that instead.

The interesting thing is that the LiveCD contained the ndiswrapper program, but when I installed Kubuntu on my hard drive, it wasn't there anymore. As for an internet connection, I have other computers in my house running both Windows & Mac OSX, so I can download whatever I need & put it on the Linux computer via flash drive. it's just a matter of where to put the files once I do that.

Cartman
Member # 256

Well, in that case you can simply install ndiswrapper from the LiveCD by adding it as a repository. You should be asked about that when you insert the disc, but if not, you can use either Adept or Synaptic (graphical frontends for Ubuntu's package manager, reachable from the start menu) to add a CD repository yourself, and then all you have to do is search for the right package.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Cool...unfortunately, I don't have a clue what you're talking about :-) Perhaps you could PM me some instructions on what to do.

Thanks for your help.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Hey Cartman, I was able to get ahold of a v4000 of the Belkin USB adapter. Could you tell me what I have to do now?

--------------------

Cartman
Member # 256

I'll PM you soonish.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps