Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Portland (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Portland
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know we've got some North-westerners, anybody in Portland? I've just accepted a job out there and will be moving next month. Anybody got a scoop on neighborhoods?

Oh, and hurray for me!

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hurray for you! I'm a bit of a ways away from there to have anything to say though.

Good luck and congrats.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have family that lives there... it's nice... good sized town, but it doesn't FEEL too hectic, like Seattle area towns do.

There are some weird traffic configurations, but once you get used to them, there are no problems.

I think you'll like it :-)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it's close enough to Seattle that visits are possible.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only driven through, but it looked nice (from a distance, since I drove through on I-5). One day we intend to do another fly-drive up the West coast, but starting from SF this time - the landscape between LA & SF got to be a bit tedious, plus there was the whole getting-lost-in-LA-on-the-freeways-in-rush-hour thing - so we can go along highway 101, see some redwoods, and maybe take in Portland. We might even go to Seattle again, since my wife thinks Charles is lovely.

All this depends on what age we think it'd be fair to subject our daughter to long days in a car. She seems to have inherited my attention span. . . Ooh! There's a hailstorm outside! *rushes off to look out the window*

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd kinda like to meet you guys, too, Lee. *heh*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm hear and have been for a couple of weeks now. I like it, now I just have to find a place to live before the family comes out end of May.

Work is interesting too, which is always nice.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:

--Jonah

Whereas it's six weeks at warp by freighter from my house. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oregon - to me - always seems to be the forgotten sister of the other two west-coast states...

Wasn't the Goonies filmed there? That always seemed very beautiful to me.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it was. And you can actually go visit all the places.

Portland to me will always make me think of Bruce Campbell & Sleater-Kinney.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:

Whereas it's six weeks at warp by freighter from my house. [Wink]
Yeah, if yer talkin' one-a them old warp 2 jobbies. Find an Orion smuggler, and you're in business -- but it'd be expensive.

--Jonah

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, I checked apartment prices in Portland the other night just for kicks...
The webpage has a disclaimer about how not to be shocked- "Portland has cost of living rates 20% higher than the country's adverage".

Waaaay cheaper than living in Fort Lauderdale.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

And closer to me. *heh*

--Jonah

--------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm prolly gonna be down in the area in the next week or three. Prolly should try the meetup organization thing...
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Oh, hey, Charles. You wanna meet for pizza again sometime?

--Jonah

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps