Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Interesting idea (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Interesting idea
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shutdown day... can you do it? I don't know if I could!?!

Can you shut your computer down for one whole day on the 24th of March?

http://www.shutdownday.org/

[Smile]

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While a person might be able to keep the home computer off and not use it for a whole day, I doubt that same person could go that same day without using any computer at all.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Saturday? That's easy, since I tend to do it anyway. Usually out doing something with the wife & kids. I think that question is completely different for college students, though, since most of them (on-campus ones, anyway) have full-time net access.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could I go a full day without a computer. Certainly. I've done it before when the thing has broken.

Would I do so voluntarily? Probably not.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they count calculators, watches, car onboard computer, and all electronic clocks? [Wink]
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about my pacema-ack!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this includes embedded systems, it would be very difficult. All microwaves and ovens made in the last ten years would be out. Any TV likely to be still working would be out. Digital clocks. Cars made since the seventies. All cell phones, all digital portable phones, and I'd bet most other non-rotary phones too. And that's just on the user end, since the POTS switch is almost certainly digital.

So you'd have to spend this particular Saturday at home or within biking distance (unless you have an old car), not talk to anyone on the phone, never look at a digital clock, never watch TV, and only eat cold or stove-made things. Not impossible.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shut down my laptop the whole day when I went to the Star Trek convention in Pasadena last year or when I was at a film festival all day this year. Besides it's a Sat when they wanna do it.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
If this includes embedded systems, it would be very difficult. All microwaves and ovens made in the last ten years would be out. Any TV likely to be still working would be out. Digital clocks. Cars made since the seventies. All cell phones, all digital portable phones, and I'd bet most other non-rotary phones too. And that's just on the user end, since the POTS switch is almost certainly digital.

So you'd have to spend this particular Saturday at home or within biking distance (unless you have an old car), not talk to anyone on the phone, never look at a digital clock, never watch TV, and only eat cold or stove-made things. Not impossible.

"Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't get in a car, I don't fucking ride in a car, I don't pick up the phone, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as shit DON'T FUCKING ROLL!! SHOMER SHABBOS!!"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm tired of these things...these, Turn off Your TV day, Turn Off your Computer Day...why don't we just have Go Without Deodorant Day or Turn Off your Fridge Day? I mean for God's sake, we invent these wonderful machines of technological splendour and leisure, and then we all decide we should stop using them on certain days... I'm tired of being told its somehow 'bad' to spend time online or watching TV or having a cellphone glued to my ear. I *like* those things. </rant>
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just gettunf us ready for that big solar flare (and accompanying EMP) that the government knows will hit soon....

Ever wonder why firearms never have computers in them? It's a CONSPARICY!
TEH NRA AND REDNECKS WILL INHERIT TEH EARTH!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as that cell phone is not glued to your ear while you are driving, I won't have to kill you. [Razz]

Technology is all well and good, but the western world is too dependant on it. Not a day goes buy that I don't see some business man or soccer mom jabbering away on thier cells while they're cruising through an amber light. I wonder what would happen if all the TV, Radio, and phone/internet services went offline. Nothing really life threatening like food, water, or power. There would still be riots and pandemonium because of all the people who can't live without thier precious luxuries.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theres a gadget that does nothing but block cell reception for about 100 ft- I want one for my car soooo badly.
Mant times I've narrowly avoided injury/death due to some ass talking on his/her cell while driving.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there's always the "Rise of the Machines"....

Children of the Western world now think that milk comes from the grocery store. And how many of today's kids even have chores to do? I would bet that less than 2% would even have a clue about planting a garden to raise food for the family. Being born in the 60's, I had to help my grandparents in the garden, worked my summers in construction with my uncle starting in the 7th grade, and most of my Saturdays I was mowing 5-10 yards for money.

Too reliant on tech? Yeah, I'd say so. Even worse is the fact that today's youth have been brought up with the X-box and not a work ethic.

[ March 12, 2007, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: WizArtist II ]

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

You were born in the 60's?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps