Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Why not ENJOY your escape from an exploding rocketship?

Author Topic: Why not ENJOY your escape from an exploding rocketship?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For forty years, the NASA launch complex has used a system of cable cars to escape the launch tower should something go wrong - you hop in a basket and ride a wire down to a bunker. As fun as that is to train on, NASA is planning something even better for the upcoming Aries/Orion spacecraft - an escape ROLLER COASTER!

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?cid=4888

This time, a series of coaster cars fly down the tower itself, then the momentum whips them out to the bunker. It's a solid track instead of a flimsy wire, and the cars are fully enclosed to protect them against harm on the way down.

I wonder if they'll need volunteers to test the system...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I speak for a lot of people when I say "What the fuck?"

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would make a tramadic experience even more uh...tramadic.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or traumatic even.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That too!
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did Disney buy NASA too?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orlando isn't THAT far away...

I've read the RFP. Oddly enough, you can probably expect the same design companies responsible for the big roller coasters to respond with valid project proposals. They DO have all the experience in this sort of thing, after all. But will they put in a vertical loop at the end mostly for the hell of it, to give the astronauts something to smile about besides surviving a gigantic fireball?

Mark

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A corkscrew maybe, but not a loop. I wouldn't want to be pointed *back* at the gigantic fireball.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh? What's the point of gigantic fireballs if you can't watch them?

I can appreciate the need for the basket ride in the shuttle, which had no realistic escape mechanism of any other sort (or the comparable slide system for Buran). But why have the roller-coaster on something that comes with a built-in escape pod? Or is the escape rocket not cleared for zero-zero? (The Soyuz one is, and has served in that duty admirably once already.)

And if it is for personnel other than the strapped-in astronauts, is it reasonable to assume these personnel would be at the top of the service tower, where these cars depart?

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Yup, it IS designed for the tower crew plus the astronauts, in the event of capsule escape failure or something happening on the pad prior to launch (which would typically involve something with main fuel loading on launch day, or hypergolic loading before that). The escape coaster is covered for that reason, as it may concievably need to escape through a cloud of toxic gasses.

And the Buran slide system never worked properly - people kept getting stuck or caught on something on the way down. Eventually they installed a bag of lubricant that the first person would pierce as he went down, lubing the tube for the following passengers. You heard it right: the Soviets had K-Y.

Mark

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course they did. The nights in Siberia are long and cold...
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and they warm up by playing chess.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps