Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » A technical question, if I may...

Author Topic: A technical question, if I may...
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought a new motherboard, with a 400 celeron chip, and an 8.4gig HDD. I have a question: Someone told me that Windows 95 doesn't use the full potential of a 400mhz chip, and that I should install Win98.

Much as I despise Win98, should I? Does anyone have any technical info about this?

------------------
"I do whatever the voice of Charles Capps tells me to do."

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As bad as 98 is, it would probably be better than 95 for your computer. But that's just my opinion.

------------------
I'll get you for this Gadget!!!! MEEEEE-ROWWRRRR.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 95 at work, and 98 at home. Nothing wrong with 98.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree--98 gives me LESS problems than 95 ever did...

------------------
"Fear attracts the fearful"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, this is something I can answer. Our latest PCs are P2 400s, and we've put the standard image utilising Windows 95 on without any problems. That is to say, with LOTS of problems, but no more than usual. The Matrox graphics card installed in the machine caused problems, however - It turns out that when Win95 proper loads, the WUSER that is required to run Novell's ManageWise conflicts and crashes Win95 even as it starts.

Of course, this means that all our new PCs can't be controlled remotely by the helpdesk, which means more work for me! But this may change if we persuade them to spend five grand on Zen. . .

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll want to load 98, as the version of 95 you have more than likely has incomplete or NO support for USB and AGP.

------------------
Charles Capps
Chief Administrator, the solareclipse network
"I do whatever the voices in my head tell me to do."

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys! *disinfects Win98 cd* I'll give it a try...

------------------
"I do whatever the voice of Charles Capps tells me to do."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps