Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » computer games (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: computer games
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's say a young man, his way in the world unclear, finds himself in possession of a new computer that can play games manufactured within the current fiscal quarter for the first time since, oh, 2003 or so.

He might want to know what people are into these days, since his most recent copy of PC Gamer suggests that he should get really excited about American McGee and I don't even remember what. Doom 3 or something.

But I'm not looking for recommendations so much as I'm curious about what the kids (read: you) are playing these days, which descriptions will hopefully turn into positive or negative recommendations through conversational mutation. Assuming you are not too busy driving the kids to capoeira practice, keeping a close eye on the Singapore Exchange and worrying about the value of the yuan.

In conclusion, an open letter to the Gaming Industry:

Dear Gaming Industry, where is our Battlestar Galactica space combat sim with realistic physics?

(Keep in mind that, for all practical purposes, my internet connection consists of me writing down the contents of my packets, expressed numerically, on small strips of paper which I then place inside plastic novelty easter eggs and toss into the river, hoping for favorable currents in the Pacific this time of year.)

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My system is currently aging, so I mainly stick to 2004 stables, like World of Warcraft(which runs the smoothest), and Halflife2 and it's serial sequel Episode 1. I play the multiplayer HL2:deathmatch too.

I'm waiting for some money to finish my upgrade system so that I can play Everquest II without crashing after 20 minutes, but I'm also looking at picking up Sam & Max episodes as well.

Warcraft and hl2:dm are probably the internet connection hoggers so I don't know if you'd be interested, but their single player content is great.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right at the moment I'm playing Star Wars - Empire at War which I got out of the bargin bin for a tenner and find it quite distracting, if a little limited.

I have to admit I've never been one for online playing. Tried it a few times with Half Life 2 and Homeworld (ages ago) and Age of Empires (even ages'er ago) but could never get into it as the people I found myself playing against were 1. Better at it than me. 2. Had a habit of cheating, of unsporting behaviour, and 3. Jibbered constantly on the chat function.

So yeah, single player games are my preference.
If you can find it there's a little gem of a PC game I discovered going cheep on Amazon called "Beyond Good And Evil". It looks "younger" than the sort of game I usually play, but I found it oddly engaging. Think Zelda, but on another planet...with hovercrafts...and about a third as long. If you want something a little more violent, the Punisher game was surprisingly good.

As for BSG I think you can download a fan made stand alone mod/demo for Freespace 2 called Beyond The Red Line. Not exactly real physics, but pretty close since you can do the nose to tail flip with a little practice.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PC games from 2003 onward? Hmmm. Well, one of my favorite's is Halo for the PC. The multiplayer is rather laggy, filled with retards and cheaters, and gets rather repetitive after a while, but there are still enough players that running across cheaters isn't all that common.

Oblivion is another one of my fav's, although you're PC won't run it. Hell, it killed my video card [Razz]

Some good RPG's include the Fallout series. The Tactical strategy game Fallout: Tactics. And a hidden gem of a game called Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Think Baldurs Gate during the Industrial Revolution. You can either choose magick or technology. And build guns and other contraptions to help you on your questing. The story is very well done. And there was a lot of effort put into the game. Too bad it didn't get much in the way of promotion or it might have been more popular than it was. Still a great game and I highly recomend tracking down a copy.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For PC right now, I'm playing Star Wars Galaxies, of which you will hear no end of controversy on, but it's still a great game.

I'm also playing a lot of the Steam platform games like Natural Selection, Day of Defeat, Counter Strike and Half Life.

I still play the old classics like Elite Force, Bridge Commander and Starcraft.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have, out of boredom, regressed to the old Exile series. After this I was thinking about dusting off my Might & Magics, then perhaps a bit of Command & Conquer.

Limited time on the computer these days makes upgrading seem pointless, so playing anything newer than games from the 20th Century is not happening.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam and Max Season One!! It first came out last October so I gather you missed it. I bought the whole season and promise it is totally worth the 35 bucks. If your connection isn't fast enough to download all the episodes, the DVD is coming out soon.

I second the nomination for Beyond Good & Evil. I would call it a platformer/adventure combo, and it is a classic (but had very poor sales). If possible I recommend playing with a PC controller or on a console - I really didn't like the keyboard controls.

Dreamfall - sequel to the Longest Journey. The story is excellent.

Psychonauts - I bought this but haven't started playing yet. Has great reviews and was produced by Tim Schafer who did Grim Fandango.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also the Grand Theft Auto Series, if like your games violent and filled with dark humor.
Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And full of obscure references to the era the games are set in
Da_bang80
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always found the GTA series to get a little old after a while. Actually GTA 2 was and is still the best of the series.

If you have a 360 and are looking for a GTA clone that far surpasses the GTA games, check out Saints Row. It's a phenomenal game. Plus Crackdown's pretty damn good, although it's like the Anti-GTA.

Some other good older PC games include Jagged Alliance 2, Soldier of Fortune II, and Tropico.

Another good one is 1nsane, it's an old off road racing game. Think the great great great grandfather of MotorStorm and you'll be right on the money. It has many of the early computer game technologies that are only now the norm for those kind of games.

There's also Trespasser, it's a really great game that didn't get a whole lot of publicity or good reveiws because of the control scheme. Basically the mous controls your avatars arm and you use the sights on the gun model to aim and fire instead of a crosshair as with most FPS games. it's another one that uses an early version of the physics engine that's most commonly used today. Plus it has the greatest health meter ever. You look down at your female characters cleavage to see a tattoo on her boob that tells you how hurt you are. It's fucking brilliant I tell you.

-

--------------------
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Sig.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Da_bang80
Member # 528

Freespace 2? Meh, TIE Fighter was better.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread isn't necessarily turning out how I expected, I guess. But, onwards!

I totally bought Half-Life 2, though every day Steam apparently requires an additional 32 gigabytes of data.

I could run Oblivion like nobody's business, son.

Fallout is as old as coal. Plus I totally beat it, never got around to the sequel, and Tactics is a vicious slander to the name. (Well, OK, I've never played it, or even seen it, but so I've heard tell. ((Actually, I'm not sure I ever beat the first one, entirely, on account of not being willing to do it without my dog, who did not deal well with laser-wielding mutants.)))

I played Star Wars Galaxies before they turned it into a slower, buggier, turn-based Jedi Knight. For about thirty minutes or so. (Is how long I played it, because it was not my computer.)

I forgot all about Psychonauts, which did sound interesting, or at the very least well-pedigreed, because Grim Fandango was liquid cool.

GTA? I had a series of older PCs, I wasn't chained up unconscious inside an empty boiler buried on the Moon. (Though, to be fair, I never did play San Andreas much.)

I have never heard anyone, outside of this thread, have anything good to say about Trespasser. Aren't the developers in hiding in some Serbian Orthodox monastery these days? I am curious to hear more.

Da_bang80
Member # 528

Well, Steam, as an online service, sucks big time. Half-Life 2 was pretty good. The real gem is the original Half-Life redone on the source engine.

As for Oblivion, I guess I misread your original post. There's a few mods you should check out that makes the experience a little better. Particularly mods that increase the spead of the spells and arrows. They're way to slow to be effective. Let's not forget the nudie mods [Razz]

Fallout may be old as coal, but it's still one of the best PC games ever made. Fallout 2 is even better. You even get ROBOT DOGS! and Dogmeat makes a cameo appearance in one of the wasteland encounters. I can't remember if you can recruit him or not. And Tactics isn't bad once you get it figured out. It's not an easy game.

Never played Galaxies, probably never will considering what they did to it.

There's nothing wrong with Trespasser to speak of. Yes, no one really liked it, most likely because the control scheme was convoluted at best. And time constraints forced the developers to scrap the AI for the dinosaurs. Forcing them to be rather dumb. They still manage to suprise you from time to time. I like the game because it was innovative at the time. It had an early version of real world physics similar to Half-Life 2s source engine. It was quite satisfying pushing a car over a ledge and squashing two raptors underneath.

The game had flaws, I'm not denying that. But if you take the time to learn the controls (I learned how to throw my gun straight up into the air and catch it before it hit the ground. That killed an hour alone. Pointless, but interesting.) you'll have a fun time with a game that, for it's time, was incredibly immersive. I broke out into a cold sweat a few times knowing that a pair of raptors were following me through the jungle. And I even let out an "eep!" when they snuck up and killed me and started feeding on my corpse.

IMO: The game would translate really well onto thw Wii. Or another other system that has one of those motion sensor glove type dealies.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know Sol System, I should have told you to buy the Half Life 2006 Christmas bundle pack which includes Half Life: Source, Half Life 2, HL2: Episode One, and Counter Strike: Source. I just finished the first Half-Life and I'm currently playing Half-Life 2. It's like I'm in a Big Blockbuster summer movie because it's so realistic.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps