Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I understand this guy...

Author Topic: I understand this guy...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Fargo site is up at http://www.lileks.com/fargo/index.html . I think I understand what James Lileks is saying here.

I can remember when I held my hometown of Sacramento, California in the deepest sort of contempt. I called it "The World's Largest Hick-Town". In a way, that was true. On the other hand, being a hick-town can be something of a virtue.

I wouldn't mind if Sacratomato had somehow failed to catch up with the modern world. At least in some ways. The time before last I went there to visit my mom, I hadn't been there an hour before every cop in town (or so it seemed) raced down mom's street in pursuit of drug dealers. These "businessmen" crashed their car into the neighbor's fence (narrowly missing two cars and another fence) and led the police on a merry chase through many peoples' back yards.

I went into the back yard for a smoke and had a front seat to every episode of COPS I've ever seen. I stayed quite calm until after the dust had settled. Then I got jittery.

When you hear mom or dad or grandparents bemoaning the degeneracy of the modern age, they aren't trying to tell you that things are utterly horrible today. Just not very homey, not completely familiar, and with a certain edge that most of us did without when we were growing up. This isn't the future I eagerly anticipated when growing up. It's more dangerous and there aren't any flying cars.

--Baloo

------------------
Have a place for everything and keep the thing somewhere else; this is not advice, it is merely custom.
-- MARK TWAIN
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see where he's coming from. A lot of the older buildings here are being torn down. I got in on the tail end, Charleston being a few years behind. I remember carhops as late as 1979. I ate there as often as possible, hoping it would stay open, but it burned to the ground, and ended an era here. The first fast food place here was a BBF.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.

------------------
I'll get you for this Gadget!!!! MEEEEE-ROWWRRRR.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps