Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Joystick Substitute

Author Topic: Joystick Substitute
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any way to use a mouse like a joystick or something like a joystick substitute?
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh... Do you mean for a flight sim like? Because if you are then nothing beats a true joystick. A gamepad would be your best bet though. You can use the Xbox 360 controller with your PC. If you have Vista you can just plug and play. If you have XP you have to search the Microsoft website for the drivers.

Using a mouse as a pseudo joystick is possible, just very aggravating. As you usually have to keep moving the mouse in the direction you want, and that can mean you run out of room on your desk and have to reset the mouse. If you're talking about a flight sim, I've used a mouse with CFSIII and Crimson Skies. And I'd rather use the damn keyboard.

If you're in the market for a joystick then Logitechs "Thrustmaster" series is one of the best I've tried. Very customize-able and the multi-directional HAT button and the slider throttle is a godsend for flight sims. Although I've found them to be a little on the delicate side, especially if it's got a Z axis (twisting the stick)

Anyways, a gamepad like the 360 controller is the only real decent substitute for a joystick. A mouse is the crap dude.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well until I buy a joystick, could tell how to get the mouse to run as a pseudo joystick? Also, thanks for the help.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use it as a joystick how?
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this is for a game, you'd have to see if the game would have such an option. The game would have to have mouselook turned on. It's not something you simply turn on in Windows, the game would have to be able to interpret mouse movements in place of joystick movements. So, it really depends on the game.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A mouse is the worst substitute one could find for a joystick. The joystick uses continual impulse for steering, and using a mouse in most flying sims force you to work the mouse like a rolling pin.
Maybe some games have a feature that lets the mouse have an imagined center point on the mouse pad, and deviating from it will make the plane/vehicle bank more and more as you go off-center. Haven't played a flight sim since "Tachyon the fringe", so dunno.

"Mars needs women", if this mouse/joystick usage is not to be used within a computer environment but for sexual gratification or -excercise ("l33tplay", "analoging", "thrustmastery", "ZORK! ZORK! ZORK!") then perhaps Wikipedia can help you with an article on the specific fetish and the instructions, peripherals and dangers involved.
For instance, always remember to switch to new, clean and intact equipment if you come to Europe for conventions and workshops, as you are used to 110 volts in your power outlets and we have 220. [Frown]

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

That's ok, I'll just buy one at the store. Plus I always practice safe joysticking.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps