Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » So I'm an athiest. Sue Me.

Author Topic: So I'm an athiest. Sue Me.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this is one of the reasons I never go to church these days....

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL. "They were unaware the sign would offend anyone." You're going to put that on a church sign and think no one will be offended. Wow.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A church official said they were unaware the sign would offend anyone."

Well, it shouldn't. I mean.. in what possible way can this offend you? It's funny, it catches your eye.

"She said she is glad her 11-year-old wasn't in the car with her to ask, `Mom, what does that mean?'"

"Lying in bed shouting Oh God" doesn't mean 'Sex', if you don't already know what it is... right...?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
She said she is glad her 11-year-old wasn't in the car with her to ask, `Mom, what does that mean?'"
So they're honestly saying that there are still 11-year-olds so naive they can't work that out for themselves? [Roll Eyes]
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's pretty simple to explain away without mentioning sex, if that's the attitude you want to take. "Lying in bed praying and shouting 'Oh God' isn't the same as worshiping in church."

I have to say, though, at 11 I'd had sex ed at school and I'm sure in this day and age they're much more savvy thanks to the internet, so I'd be surprised if it needed explanation. And if it was my child, I'd just explain it all rather than pretending sex doesn't exist. It's a natural part of life, not some dirty secret.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is this "sex" you people keep talking about?
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! THat's a fantastic sign! "Offensive" or not, you gotta admit that's pretty darn bold.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was 11 I'd had sex ed and had The Talk three or four years prior. My parents were pretty liberal about that kind of thing. So I agree with Johnny, I'd just explain the joke to the kid, who probably would've gotten it on his own.

Anyway, to respond to Harry, it would offend people who go to *church* I would think. I've met very few adult church-goers who don't at least *pretend* to be highly conservative in public. (Which is what that woman was really saying: It's funny, but not appropriate; i.e., let's all pretend to be more conservative than we really are.)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once saw a church sign that said "With every beat of your heart, you get closer to god."

Now, when I read that, I immediately think : with every heartbeat, you inch ever onward toward your inevitable death. I think that's maybe not what they meant.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on what kind of church it was.
If it was the kind that hands out funny tasting orange juice, then it probably was exactly what they meant.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

What else could they have meant?
Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
What is this "sex" you people keep talking about?

It's something the average person wouldn't object to having every Sunday morning! [Razz]
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Amen, Reverend. Except that you're Zipacna which drastically lowers the value of that joke.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps