Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Official John C. Webb (aka Jay the Obscure) memorial thread. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Official John C. Webb (aka Jay the Obscure) memorial thread.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John C. Webb, aka Jay the Obscure. Born December 12, 1967 - Died October 7, 2007. Aged 39.

http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/10/4060/7.html#000096

In light of the news regarding Jay's death, I would like to dedicate this thread to our longtime friend. He will never be too far from our hearts, from whatever arguments that we may have had, to whatever laughs he had to share with us.

Jay would be the third person that I would know of who would die from cancer at such a young age. My brother's friend passed away in February 2007 at age 26 after a battle with colorectal cancer. Eight years earlier, my cousin, at 16, passed away after a battle with leukemia. Goes to show that anything can happen and that one should always learn to live life to the fullest.

I hope that his wife and daughter can find solace that their husband and father is no longer going through the pain any cancer sufferrer would go through. May they cherish his memory as if he was still alive.

As a show of respect, please be sure to turn off your signatures when posting in this thread. We want to dedicate this thread solely in his memory. No links, no quotes (unless they are attributed to Jay himself), and please, no political discussions.

Also, can someone sticky this thread as well?

May his profile be active here until eternity: http://flare.solareclipse.net/cgi2/ultimatebb.cgi/profile/19.html.

*bows head in silence*

[ January 25, 2008, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Saltah'na ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/Signed.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saltah'na,

Thanks for the nice tribute to John. He will be missed.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stickied.

From B.J.'s post in the other thread...

quote:
WEBB, John Died October 7, 2007 in the comfort of his home after a courageous battle with brain cancer. Beloved husband of Deborah Horowitz Webb and adoring father of Lyla Rose, loving uncle to Tilly and Jasper. Son of Linda and Chester Webb, brother of Jeff. Son-in-law to Leslie and David Horowitz, brother-in-law to Janna and Bill Sandmeyer. Services will be held Wednesday, October 10, at 1 p.m., at Oakwood Cemetery, 22601 Lassen Street, Chatsworth, CA 91311.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess i don't know this individual...

but somehow i think i'm missing much in lacking this knowledge... no?

[Frown]

Could someone explain more to me, please...?

Guess i suppose how we react here is no different than when my own brother passed away last summer to heart disease. I had to make an account on my bro's regular haunt. That alone wasn't fun, but nessy. guess i wanted people to know after all...

/me sighs and prays, privately.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who don't know, Jay was one of the original members of this forum, right back to the CommRelay days. Always a political junkie, always sparring with other members of the board over American politics and the whatnot.

In 2005, Jay's unfortunate saga with cancer began with headaches that went on for several days straight. His saga is documented here

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt a certain kinship with him when he was going through his trials at the same time I was going through mine. We also seemed to be getting better about the same time, so I was hopeful for him. Some friends of my family... she had a deep brain tumor, and he had lung cancer. Her tumor was surgically removed, and hasn't come back. His responded to treatment and altered lifestyle, and he's in full remission. So I had hope and precedent.

He died on the day I found out my adrenal function was back to normal (after getting off the steroids), and I could schedule my surgery to repair the hernia from my first surgery. The last major hurdle on my return to normalcy.I feel really guilty about that for some reason.

I'll miss you, Jay...

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I never really engaged the Obscure One in political stuff (myself having gone off politics by then), I did enjoy talking with him about our mutual love of jazz. We had mostly different tastes with some overlap, but it was nice to have that intercourse.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP Jay, the world needs more people like him.
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Farewell, Jay. There are too few good people in this world, and we are certainly one poorer now.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know that I ever had a pleasant discussion with Jay. I wish I had. So much wasted time...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John was one of the first people I met online, in any meaningful sense, back in 1996 or thereabouts. Being much more awkwardly nerdy (or perhaps just less self-conscious about it) I spent all my time on some flavor or other of Yahoo! Chat, gravitating towards the Star Trek rooms because, well, I mean, yeah. Anyway, that's where we met. Diane too (Ziyal). And after getting my initial (sad, sad, so sad) rocks off pretending to be various TV show characters, I wound up getting in some heady discussions with John about music, and history, and the like. I was still feeling out my entrance into the adult world, and being able to have conversations about subjects that never came up among my friends in high school was a minor revelation.

John sent me an actual physical copy of Kind of Blue once, I presume on a whim after we'd talked about jazz. (I didn't get it; he was passionate about it.) I didn't and don't know what to say in the face of such generous enthusiasm. I get jazz now.

We hadn't spoken to each other directly much in the last few years, even before he became ill. I assumed, I suppose, that I'd always be able to send him a private message here to catch up, one of these days. When I got around to it.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking about it now, I never really engaged with Jay given he was such a long-term member - never had him on my ICQ list, or anything. And I always had most of the Old Ones on my lists - still do. Not that we chat much anymore. We should have a Sunday chat sometime, for old times sake.

I guess, when I think of Jay I mainly focus on the fact that we both had our first (and in his case, sadly only) child only three months apart. I kept my news quiet throughout the pregnancy but it was fun to read Jay's updates, it helped prepare (if anything really could). He was thrilled to be a Dad.

He will be missed.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.