Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The John C. Webb Memorial Ideas Thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The John C. Webb Memorial Ideas Thread
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone please sticky this (at least temporarily).

http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/10/4060/8.html

I want to isolate discussions regarding proposed plans to send condolences to John's immediate family onto this thread. That being said, whatever you want to discuss or how you want to do this, please present it here. My personal feeling is that the other thread regarding the longevity of these forums should be left as such.

Carry on.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called the mortuary, and they're going to give my name and phone number to the family. Unfortunately they don't forward condolences or take messages, so I couldn't leave a message saying where I knew John from. It's up to them to contact me.

I also got the directions to his grave site. I will visit on Sunday as planned and take some pictures, but the guy at the cemetery told me that he has no headstone. The family didn't buy one and they don't ask why. His grave just has grass over it, so I'll take some pictures of the surrounding area as well.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably can't afford it. Those things cost a LOT.

Which...might be a nice gesture.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stickied.

I really don't know about a headstone. Either they just didn't want one, or they couldn't afford one (which means they have more pressing financial needs we could donate to).

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I'd mention, it might be a nice idea in light of all of this for all of you Flareites who would care whether or not the rest of us would be informed in the event something happened to you, to let your family know where to go and what to say.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A common thing would be for a bank account in their daughter's name. Something to at least assist in her future. I wouldn't mind dropping a few bucks for her, provided that my bank would allow me to do so.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if we couldn't do that, we could always have Diane serve as a collection point for donations for Flareites, which she could then give to Jay's family from all of us.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Questtion then becomes, do we organise some sort of collection, probably using PayPal with Diane as administrator (if you're willing, I can't think of anyone more conveniently situated and who we'd all trust) and see how much accrues and then decide what to do with it; or, do we identify a goal/target and collect towards it?

The former option is the easier to just get on with right now.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Paypal idea seems fine to me. I would be honored to serve as the administrator. Let's wait a few days to see if they contact me though.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee, we can do both, set a goal and, if our lame asses miss it those that donate can decide how it will get used.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

Last call for the memorial thread. Printing it tomorrow morning.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was what I wrote, OK?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

You're fine, Andrew. There's no "right" way to do it.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, what is happening on this front?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

I will post some pictures from the cemetery when I get a chance. No word from the family so far.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps