Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The John C. Webb Memorial Ideas Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The John C. Webb Memorial Ideas Thread
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I just looked at your 3 feb 9:09 Am post and mine. It seemed like your post was more like two or three days before mine. Maybe that thread here about light slowing down is true, that day seemed to take several days.

Sorry for the rush.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are the pictures from the cemetery. It was pouring hard Sunday morning and the drive up was a little scary.

You can tell John's grave is recent by how the grass is darker. It was kind of startling to see.

-

-

-

-

I saw this a few spaces down - a grandmother?

-

-

--------------------
life creation in progress

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks a nice enough spot...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such a flat place, no towering head stones.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's not something I'm accustomed to seeing in a cemetery, but let's hope it's what he wanted, and not due to lack of money (that he has no headstone).
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the cemeteries I've seen recently have grave markers rather than headstones. My grandparents and my mother-in-law all have them. Although theirs also have a small hole for a flower vase.

In any case, Jay's spot does look nice, being near the trees and the hills.

Diane, did the mortuary specifically say the family didn't buy a marker/headstone, or did they say he just didn't have one now? I ask because it took around 6 months after my mother-in-law's funeral for her grave marker to arrive and be put in place.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Diane are all the headstones identical? They seem to be.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My understanding is that some cemeteries these days won't allow stand-up headstones. It's so that, when they mow the grass, they don't have to work around them. The flat ones, they can just go right over with the lawnmower.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Having run a weed whacker at a cemetery I know what it is like moving all around a monument and moving to the next.... Time consuming and very very boring.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a lot in common, Ritten...
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

You poor poor kid, get an education and run away from real life as fast as you can. [Wink]

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a possibility that a headstone may have been purchased but is still not ready for the plot. When my brother's friend passed away last year, he was interred in a mausoleum, but the crypt panel that was supposed to bear his name did not appear for 6 months. A temporary one was in its place during that time.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy I called at the cemetery said he doesn't have a headstone. I asked why, and he said "the family didn't buy one, and we don't ask why." But it is possible that it just hasn't arrived yet or they haven't bought one thus far.

Not all the headstones look the same. If you look at the Darlyne one and the one in the second picture, they have different designs. You can pick the design when you buy one.

Most or all the cemeteries that I've driven by in the LA area have flat headstones, for the reason that Tim mentioned.

There was a hole in the ground where you can put flowers. See the second picture with the brown disc with a bar down the center - that's the cover. I looked at the other flower holes, and I think you have to lift the cover (which has a hollow cylinder attached) and turn it upside down or something to make a "vase". But when I lifted the cylinder, the sides were FILLED with bugs crawling around. So I said forget that.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've ben in Italy for the past week, so this is the first time I've been able to check in. Looks like a nice spot. Thatnks for taking the time to go up there, Diane.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.....fuck.

I've been in hospital for the past two weeks and missed all of this.

Makes you think on mortality.
Jay deserves a headstone- here in Florida we only have those depressing markers (the water table is too near the surface for heavy headstones or somesuch) and visiting a grave is just not the same.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps