Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » THE WAR IS OVER! BR WINS! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: THE WAR IS OVER! BR WINS!
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a bit of a mouthful with too many 'D's and about five syllables. While precise, it's not good as far as abbreviations go.
Blu-Ray on the other hand rolls off the tongue rather smoothly. Not that it really matters, I bet even when we've all swtiched to HD we'll still just call them DVDs.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sony is a bit high on prices for the most part, but working at a store that sells Sony products (for the lowest prices in the city, too), I've seen the prices on most things drip significantly. We sell Sony's BDP-S300 BluRay player and when we first brought it in it was $499. Right now I think we're selling it in the vicinity of $399. The electronics manager predicts that by Christmas he'll be able to sell it (or a similar product) for $249. The TVs also follow a similar trend with price drops every now and then.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well at least it's been whittled down to one standard. As I remember waiting for one of the original R/RW DVD standards to become the only one standing, but in the end got a +/-/RAM DVD drive for my PC. I had been contemplating going for one of those HD-DVD/Blu-Ray combo drives, but they were still a little too expensive last time I checked.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still waiting for Dual Layer blanks to become affordable.

--------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edited OP to fix OMGWTF-worthy link text.

Also, Bluray is not a Sony format. Sony, Matsushita, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung actually worked together. I guess that explains why it didn't tank. Silly Sony and their silly formats.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
HP *sucks.*

Hmm, I think having no region is a major *plus* ... you're counting it as a minus?

No, I meant that it was another nail in it's coffin, as the reason regions exist is to rip off Europe and make money.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So mod your player or stick it in a computer and stream it over your house 'net to your set-top DVR, or encode to DivX with the same quality, burn it, and buy a player that will play data discs. Don't they even sell regionless players in some stores or online? There are lots of ways around that ridiculous region idea. Fecking capitalists.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

...or just use DVD shrink.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, too much technobabble. And I thought Voyager was bad.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which part was technobabble, "computer" or "burn" [Big Grin]
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen either, but those I know, who have seen both, all liked Blue Ray the best.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With my vision VCRs still have good quality, so what's the deal?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, Engadget's sucked lately. Everything's a Mac vs. PC spoogefest anymore. It used to be at least the HD/BR spoogefests would at least break the monotony...

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Ritten: VCRs record analog at TV quality which is equivalent to 640x480 resolution; it looks fine on a 640x480 TV, but a 1024x768 (or higher) HDTV makes it look like *crap.*
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe, but can you tell me if there's a digital recorder that can record basic cable without having to sign up for some stupid service? Basically, a *true* replacement for the VCR?

As for the whole hi-def war, I haven't cared that much. I only first got into DVDs a few years ago.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps