Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Quick question about the forums (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Quick question about the forums
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you'd know better than anyone else here, I think.

Custom coded, eh? Can we have an Octagon?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
The solution will be custom-developed and released as open source. GPL3, probably

Very cool CC, yes indeed.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just please never use gratuitous captcha...
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Custom coded, eh? Can we have an Octagon?
I fail to see why we need an eight sided geometric figure, but why not?

quote:
Just please never use gratuitous captcha...
The only CAPTCHA present will be on the registration form, and will be along the lines of "check this box" and "perform some math operation on these two numbers." (These steps were proven necessary relatively early on. Modern spammer bots are far, far more clever than I expected, and were able to see right past the initial level of protection I coded.)
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
Click [Update Post Indicators] once and only once, when you are done posting for the time being. Yes, this will still leave your posts marked as new. But when you come back to the board later, they'll be marked old properly.

Clicking it multiple times in a row causes the weird behavior you're seeing. The code uses two timestamps to determine what's new and what's not. Every new visit to the board and every click to the link bumps the oldest timestamp off, shifts the newest to the oldest's position, and puts the current time in the new slot.

This means that the next time you come to the board, it can only compare two almost identical timestamps to figure out what's new. That causes all sorts of fun problems.

So, as I said. Click it once. Just once. Treat this place like it's running on an antiquated quirky piece of crap software, and you'll be fine. It's funny because it's true.

The next class starship UBB7 upgrade that never happened (and never will) was to come with sane, modern new post notification. If RL ever stops ambushing me with BS, I'll be able to finish the new forum software. (There's a running prototype, but critical features are missing that prevent it from taking over Flare.)

ok. Explain THIS to me then...

i check the forums from (usually) two sources: My Uber Cracked Laptop of Doom and one of serveral terminals in my shop on the IKE. Sometimes when i check here (and a lot of times on MacrossWorld) or on ALFA, i have to log in, even after i set it to autolog/remember me. most of the time, i see this on the IKE LAN (and i thought it had something to do with where i check, since i log on from what ever terminal is availible at the time)

so what causes uncommanded LOGOUT?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Octagon for BATTLES!! Automatic Octagon battles!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
An Octagon for BATTLES!! Automatic Octagon battles!
Why would one fight over an eight sided... *googles*

Ah. No then.

quote:
so what causes uncommanded LOGOUT?
The next time this happens, look at the next on the front page next to the update indicators button. The "you were last here" text. If it says "NEW", then it means your browser lost all your cookies. If it has a valid date, then, uh, let me know, because the only way it could happen otherwise is if you changed your password or something.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have your browser drink less.

My nephew would have understood that without the google, but, then again, he goes to the UFC bar to watch the UFC. I'll stick with google.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

UFC... bar. OKay, thanks, didn't need to know THAT existed.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps