Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Do you think we shall all die? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Do you think we shall all die?
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want lightsabers, so I can maim asshats who annoy me.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what a sack full of doorknobs is for.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought it was a burlap bag full of wood nails.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A sack of nails won't cause quite as much pain me thinks. Seeing as most of the nails would be parallel with the side of the bag, and those few that poke through wouldn't do much damage seeing as there's nothing behind them to drive them into your flesh. Besides, nothing beats blunt force trauma.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... Glass door knobs! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:

Then again, do you think scientists would actually do something that they know or even speculate could destroy the planet or the universe?

I think it was Physicist Robert Oppenheimer, the author of "I am become Shiva" quote from the Manhattan project that had speculated before the first test of an atomic bomb that it might very well start a chain reaction in the atmosphere. The result of which would NOT have been good.

AND it is FAR better to use a Cat-o-nine tails with all the embedded little shards of glass and metal tied into the ends.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Well, I guess I give the Manhattan Project guys a little lee way on the whole " we might destroy the world thing". Afterall, they were trying to make a super weapon to end a war. THis, however, is like a giant 8-billion dollar history/science project.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Well, did Nostradomus predict this? He was right about pretty much everything else...

Then again, do you think scientists would actually do something that they know or even speculate could destroy the planet or the universe?

Point one, not everything Nostradomus "predicted" was right. He couldn't even spell Hitler right.

Point two, the scientists who are doing this experiment DON'T suspect there's any possibility of what their critics are saying coming true. Problem is there's probably only about a dozen people on the planet qualified to know which theory is probably right, so our opinions don't really matter.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if Nostradamus could spell "Hitler" right, but he spelled "Hister" correctly.

Also, while the sentence "not everything [he] 'predicted' was right" is technically accurate, I would argue that the better sentence would be "nothing he predicted was right".

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sean, we can twist his vague prophecies to fit a lot of things, so, ya, he was right in a vague sort of way.

And, yes Sean, Wiz is right, they did make the bomb, and test it, with mild concerns that the atmosphere would burn away. On the plus side for that though, it would have ended the war a lot sooner if it had.

Rev, publicly anyway, who knows what they are saying amongst themselves.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am reminded of the Voyager episode "Blink of an Eye" where they witness the first experiments into matter/antimatter production on that planet.

When I first read about it - I had a thought in the back of my mind along the same lines of the critics warnings... trying to recreate the conditions from around start of the universe... on the surface of the Earth? Shit!

Hmmm when does this large Hadron collider go-online? It's not Dec 22nd 2012 is it? [Smile]

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Destroy all of humanity in a gigantic space kablooie caused by nothing other than our own curiosity about how the universe works? Sounds like a plan to me.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, did Nostradomus predict this? He was right about pretty much everything else...
No, he was vague enough that people managed to apply his prophesies to "pretty much everything else".
What could have been said of this prophesy-wise? "A great light consumes the world". Ooh, the atomic bomb or Edison's lightbulb?
"Darkness will spread in a flash from the last empire". Is that the cultural revolution in China, mecha-Putin's rise to power or perhaps a sudden decision by Microsoft to release Windows Vista for free?

Regarding this test, I'm more worried that reaching the absolute zero temperature would make earth freeze over in a millisecond. I mean, if it's been fighting us to stay out of reaching it as hard as it has, for as long as it has.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of the alleged 946 predictions attributed to Nostradamus, only about 70 are considered to have had some kind of fulfillment. That works out to less than a 7-percent success rate. However, regarding the �successes,� M�Clintock and Strong�s Cyclop�dia comments that many are considered to be the �bold forgeries� of his interpreters, including the prediction of his own death. Others were �composed after the events to which they seem designed to refer.� Some are �strained� in their application and some are shown to have �fulfillments� in a number of different events.

Sorry, no link for the above. But here's a tasty one for you" http://www.nostradamus-repository.org/faq.html

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew: I'm not positive, but I think late July? Anyway, this summer.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.