Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Which do you prefer? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Which do you prefer?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of my idle curiosity, I'm wondering about the driving preferences of Flarites. Automatic transmission or manual?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 22 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the auto gets me from point A to point B, and has heat for the winter, I am good to go. A/C is optional see your dealer for details.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never driven auto, so it's manual for me.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never driven manual. Except that one time I tried to back my stepdad's truck out of the driveway and crashed it because the clutch feels awful much like a brake pedal...
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd prefer manual, but I'll drive what I have to. Not too many minivans with a stick out there.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^That right there is what will limit my vehicle choices in the future. I prefer a manual, but a lot of newer vehicles don't even offer them. Back in the day, both the Ford Aerostar and the Dodge Caravan had manual transmissions. Nowadays you can't even get a fullsize GM truck with a manual. [Frown]

Although, BJ, I sometimes wonder about why people feel the need for minivans at all... I don't much care for them, bleh.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's so good about a manual? I've heard a lot of people say they like them - is it just a matter of what you learned to drive, or is there some advantage to a manual I don't know about?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Automatic, but only because my driving style would require me to be Zaphod Beeblebrox to run manual these days. Interestingly enough, a friend once noted that although I drove an automatic, I positioned my hands like it was a manual. I told hie that's because the firing controls were on the handle, & I could easily reach the fan lasers, proton bolts, & missiles.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux, when you have 2 kids (plus a third on the way), 2 cats and a dog, and you're trying to get them all (& their luggage) to the grandparents' house for the holidays in a sport coupe, you'll understand the reason for minivans. Actually, until we got ours a year ago, my wife swore up one side & down the other that she would never own one. Now she won't do without it!

As for manual vs automatic, I just find manuals more fun to drive. I like being actively engaged while driving.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I voted 'Neither" because there wasn't a 'Both" option. I like auto for city driving so I don't wear out my left leg pushing the clutch in all the time for stop-and-go traffic. Anything that involves distance driving, I prefer manual.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, I should have said automobile.....

I voted neither also, as long as the car moves when I need it too I am relatively happy.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

I learned to drive on automatics. Always wanted to drive a manual and any vehicles I get for myself were/are manuals. Once I learned and drove a manual transmission, switching back to an automatic made me feel...lazy. It didn't seem like I was paying enough attention to what I was doing when driving and it kinda weirded me out. I prefer having the extra control a manual transmission gives me.

BJ: I suppose you may have a point there. But a station wagon would perform the same tasks... [Wink] Just don't ever get a crossover. Christ, those things don't know what they want to be. I hate the term, also. May as well call it what it is, a car on steroids...

--------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Manual. I learned to drive on a Volkswagon Bettle. Driven many different things since, and I'm looking for a car now. Probably be a Honda since the last one had 120,000 when I bought it, and I drove it 8 years. Great car.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont drive yet, but when I do, I'll take automatic. The less I have to do the better.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Manual transmission.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps