Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I've got gas this morning! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: I've got gas this morning!
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if people *are* using less gas. Nobody I know is. They still have to get to work and the store and the same places they've always had to get to, and out here in the boonies it sure ain't within walking distance.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking mass-transit a lot lately. Actually my company reimburses me for the expense, so if I were to have a pure transit month, it would cost me around six bucks to get to work. Of course, I have to leave two hours early, and I can just forget about having plans for the evening. Anyway, in urban areas, it's possible, if less convenient ($4/gallon is pretty inconvenient, though, when you think about it)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Historically, as is my understanding, the total numbers of miles driven in the U.S. don't tend to map to gas prices at all. But I did hear a story the other day about how fewer travelers were predicted for Memorial Day weekend, bucking previous trends.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I know I've cut down a lot on my driving compared to last year and car pool when ever I can.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In order to save gas, a group of teachers decided to organize a "ride your bike to school day". Everybody either walked or rode their bike, and completely vetoed the school busses for a day. I don't know what that did for the environment, but it showed that people at least give a hoot for fuel efficiency. Oh, and gas is now $4.05 at my local station, and $3.92 at the station in the next town over. It is ridiculous.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The gas station in my parents' town is selling regular for more per gallon than the super...hmm..
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably because everyone buys regular gas over premium because it's cheaper, raising demand thus prices. I know a lot of people went over to diesel when gas started really going up, there's almost as many Jetta TDIs around town as there are crappy banger-mobiles. And there's a ton of those around. Or it could be a little fuckup on the part of the gas station manager. Premium's still about 10 cents more than regular here.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regular is currently $4.18 in town right now.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I know a lot of people went over to diesel when gas started really going up..."

Is it different there than here? Because here, regular is around the $3.70s-$3.80s, and diesel is, I think, $4.50-something.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here it's $1.31 a liter for regular and diesel's the same now. Before the snow melted diesel was much cheaper, I'm not sure why it went up so suddenly, but a lot of people who bought a diesels are suddenly kicking themselves in the pants. There've been people at the dealership that bought a Super Duty less than six months ago are now suddenly trading them in for Rangers.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$3.999 for regular over here in Hawaii.

What I truly hate about this whole gasoline crap is the fact that there are still soo much SUV's and huge pickup trucks driving around when none of them really needs it. I mean, unless you work construction or carry around a lot of cargo, I don't see why you need one of those huge trucks. And the concept of SUV's seems stupid to me.

I can't wait until they start rationing gas and all those guys start taking it up the ass. Then again, we could just invade another country and solve the problem altogether [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Hummers, SUVs, and pickup trucks just make me angry. They're just pollution machines and people don't care at all about it. They just want something that's big, looks impressive and expensive, and can pull a heavy load - but nobody ever seems to need to pull a heavy load, or haul a bed full of cargo, or (in the case of Hummers) invade fucking Normandy or somewhere. I mean it seems like there are very few people who actually need the towing or cargo-carrying capacity of a pickup and those who need it intermittently can rent or borrow one, so what's the point? (OK, small one, maybe, with comparable gas mileage to a car...)
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Well, my family has a Ford Escape. However, we need the 4WD around here, and any car we have needs to be able to pull our boat. It actually gets about the same MPG as our Ford Taurus Wagon, which we use to haul the whole family places and stuff.

However, I see no reason for a single person to own an SUV in an area where terrain is not an issue.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drive a Subaru Impreza 2.5i. It gets ok mileage, could be better. But I also live in Denver, CO so having an AWD car is a must. The gas station by my apartment is at $3.89 for regular, however apparently due to the altitude regular starts at 85 instead of 87.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I went boating on a lake about 60 miles from home, 2 counties over today. Regular was $4.98 at one station. That's pretty damn high even for this neck of the woods.

--------------------

-George Carlin

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps