Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » And they say that Krispy Kreme is bad for your health. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: And they say that Krispy Kreme is bad for your health.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
point of interest: up until recently Krispy Kreme was known for giving away a free, fresh-off-the-line glazed donut when their red neon sign was lit up. It meant they were making a new batch and you could get a free donut just for walking in. For from being a fireable offence it was a marketing strategy. And it worked.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never even seen a Krispy Kreme...where are they centered?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's more of a mid-west thing. I know they're not everywhere. We just got one in South Bend a few years ago.

Oddly... O'Niell mentions that there's one in Colorado Springs (or at least, he seems to think he can get the donuts on base) but I didn't think they had them out there.

A quick Wiki search reveals they are hq'd in north carolina but have stores throughout the u.s., in canada and in brittain, and in several eastern countries. also... they're partly owned by a kuwaiti-based company.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are at least 15 in my county alone. And I saw 4 within 2 blocks of eachother in NYC.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I live in the Midwest and I've never seen one [Razz] Off to the store locator...

Edit: All over the US and Canada nothing, they're all over the world. There appear to be a couple within a few hours' distance...and they have them in Colorado too.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not many here in Toronto. What I have heard is that Krispy Kreme basically bombed on the Canadian market (due to the average Canadian's desire for more "healthier" fare) and virtually shut down all of their locations.

Only one I know of is left, and that one is the first Krispy Kreme store they opened in Mississauga during their failed venture here. That one reopened recently and is mostly used as a distribution point for Canadian gas stations and Walmarts selling packaged versions of this product.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm Krispy-Kremes... they opened in Sydney a few years ago. The only way to get them in Brisbane was from the airport in Sydney. You'd often see heaps of people flying back to Brisbane with big boxes of them. Then in the last two weeks they opened their first store in Brisbane. Lines go down the street all day until midnight!

Supposedly the first person in the door when they first opened got free doughnuts for a year. Supposedly the man who was first in was a father of 7!

Let's just hope he doesn't raise them on doughnuts.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Krispy Kreme is okay, but I prefer the pastries made in local bakeries. Just like I like small pizzarias compared to Dominos. I don't like the whole assembly line fashion of making food. Although, I have to admit that a K&K glazed dozen sounds good right about now.

My dad and his shift partner get two dozen free donuts each when they go into the Krispy Kreme store in their paramedic uniforms. If they pull up in the Ambulance, They get 'em delivered for free by an employee.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if they continue to pig out like that, they'll certainly need to use some of the equipment they have on themselves.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Donuts are good. Not *that* good though.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Most of the time they take them back to the dispatch centre, or to a hospital if they get a call. Sometimes, They take them home. There are actually a lot of places where they can eat for free. My dad has actually gotten out of many speeding tickets just by hanging his uniform in the back of the back window. Granted, he doesn't speed regularly, or eat donuts on a regular basis.

--------------------

-George Carlin

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
point of interest: up until recently Krispy Kreme was known for giving away a free, fresh-off-the-line glazed donut when their red neon sign was lit up. It meant they were making a new batch and you could get a free donut just for walking in. For from being a fireable offence it was a marketing strategy. And it worked.

What do you mean "up until recently"? They still do that!

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I think it's more of a mid-west thing. I know they're not everywhere. We just got one in South Bend a few years ago.

I take offense to that! Krispy Kreme was for the longest time a Southern thing. They only fairly recently started spreading out. When I moved to St. Louis in 1997, my coworkers told me they only got Krispy Kreme a couple of years before, whereas I had practically grown up on the stuff in Georgia. BTW, I proposed to my wife over a box of them. [Big Grin]

Unlike regular donuts, these things go down *way* too easily! You can eat a half dozen very quickly before you even realize that you've done it!

Also, many schools, school groups (teams, bands, etc.), churches, and even the soldiers at the arsenal here in Huntsville use Krispy Kremes as a big fund-raising item. I think that's one of the major reasons for their initial spread in popularity in the South.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Krispy Kreme is fucking AWFUL. Dunkin. FOREVER.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Go Wal-mart bakery!
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, your Wal-Marts have bakeries?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps