Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Mine is bigger than yours II (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mine is bigger than yours II
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too many unfortunately.

Perhaps they measured the total length of the condom,before it was put on the building, whereas whoever measured it for English sources measured it as it was on the building, which might be less, as it looks rolled up. Or, someone just can't count.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote typo. That, or idiocy. I know somebody who was born and raised in Argentina (not B.A. though) who lives in Spain now and all he can do is tell me stories of the vast and varied idiocy and savagery of the Argentine people.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
Well, I was partially right. "English: A 67 m long "condom" on the Obelisco (obelisk) in downtown Buenos Aires, to commemorate the international AIDS awareness day." December 9th, 2005. Ask your friend if he was there that day.

She was not but she says that you can find postcards of it all over Buenos Aires.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What, the numbers translate differently, even with the same unit?"

The Spanish one is in metric meters.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, what is the point of this thread? "How dare a bunch of people we Americans regard as inherently inferior use the rewards of their natural resources to build stuff?" And, if you think the fact you're paying the dizzying sum of more than four dollars per gallon can be blamed solely on a bunch of heathen towelheads then you're sorely deluded.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is more like the point of the first thread with this name:

Oooo look, big tall phallic buildings!

This is the tallest building in the world isn't it? THat's worth noting, no matter who built it.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I vote typo. That, or idiocy. I know somebody who was born and raised in Argentina (not B.A. though) who lives in Spain now and all he can do is tell me stories of the vast and varied idiocy and savagery of the Argentine people.

Savagery... yeah, maybe. It's more of a permanent competition of Argentine vs. Argentine to see who's better, who's more shrewd, who's more successful, who has cheated on most people.

But we aren't all like that.

And I've seen the gigantic condom three years ago. The obelisk is 67 m tall, so you know. Much smaller than the Washington obelisk in DC.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you're obviously not all like that, the friend I'm talking about is a great guy.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this and it hit me what this kind of reminds me of......the Barad-dur

....in the land of Arabs where the oilfields lie...

-

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's a thought. in light of 9/11.. do forriegn buildlings include Air Defences?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I've ever heard of....it would be possible to equip a pair of Phalanx pods to the building's opposite corners and effictively deter any would be attack, but it would severely inconvience all the surrounding buildings that would be hit by the exploding debris/crashing plane, etc.

It'd work great on oil rigs and things in unpopulated areas though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

That reminds me of something I read. From memory do I quote:

"In the year 2021, a small group of rogue Americans crash two planes into the Burj Al-Arab in Dubai. The United Arab Emirates spend the next five years invading Canada and torturing their citizens, leading to a loss of over 80,000 lives.

Wait. That's not funny."

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not quite finished yet, but SHEESH.

Burj Dubai - High in da Sky

Now of course for someone to insert the ubiquitous "THREAD REVIVE" pic.....

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps