Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » General bullshit. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: General bullshit.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My last name is also the name of a dish in Japan, and yet I know of no relatives from there.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Women are a dish any where... [Wink]

I have found that everyone wants to mispell my last name. It was originally rather commplicated, but, appearantly some people in my family were too stupid to spell it right, so they legally changed the spelling so it could be spelled phonetically. Strange, but unfortuanately, all true. And now that it is easy to spell and pronounce, everyone screws it up...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my ancestors founded this place. Another one put this on here.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How'd he get it? The FBI put it there. Apparently there's some rivalry between them and the CIA...

All I really know is, by male lineage I'm Irish, the family came here sometime in the 300-years-ago-range; my grandmother on dad's side was Yugoslavian; my mom's family are all British and Scottish. That side of the family came here about 6 years before I was born... ;P

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see, on my father's side I have Canadian, Algonquin Indian, Czecholoslovakian, Polish, and Southern Irish heritage. My paternal grandfather immigrated from Canada in the 50's. My mother's family is Irish, German, British, and Icelandic. They've been here forever. [Wink]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as far as people with Wikipedia entries go, I'm related to this guy. Court physician, member of the Royal Society, mentor of Christopher Wren. Sounds like a neat guy, huh? Unfortunately, I'm descended from his brother. Slave trader, religious persecutor, and all-around asshole. You can get away with a lot of crap, apparently, when your brother knows the king.
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Puerto Rican, Japanese, Filipino, Hawaiian.

Not a drop of white. Fuck yeah.

But I always thought it was cool how people can really trace their ancestry back centuries. Anyone here related to someone on the Mayflower?

[ July 02, 2008, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: shikaru808 ]

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my ancestors founded the little town of Flin Flon, Manitoba after discovering gold in the region. Apparently the town is named after a character in a book my ancestor came across while prospecting in the area of Candle Lake. I thought that was pretty neat.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang. All I got is Chinese. Just plain Chinese. Though by marriage, we've got white folks in our extended family. And one of my cousins married a Japanese dude a while ago.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Puerto Rican, Japanese, Filipino, Hawaiian.

"Not a drop of white."

Well, except the Puerto Rican part. Unless your Puerto Rican ancestors somehow avoided all the Spaniards.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of Americans think Hispanic = not white. In fact the only hispanic guy I know very well says he hates the word "hispanic" even - he says Spaniards don 't consider themselves "hispanic" but rather "white," the same way the Germans or Brits or whoever do.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
I went to my grandfather's house today, and looked throught the family lineage he has compiled, and found that I am related to this dude. He was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Appearantly he is a distant cousin. Somehow...

No kidding? I've been told that I'm somehow related to him as well, but I don't have any proof. Of course, I've also heard that everyone is related to everyone else by going back only a few centuries.

Hearing some of these stories, it makes me thankful that my family is downright boring! [Big Grin]

As for my heritage, I've got Slovak, English, Irish, German, and French (supposedly). As for my kids, add Scottish and Cherokee to that. Although I suppose those designations are only good for a couple centuries back anyway. But I prefer to call myself a good-old American mutt!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Well, Women are a dish any where... [Wink]

I have found that everyone wants to mispell my last name. It was originally rather commplicated, but, appearantly some people in my family were too stupid to spell it right, so they legally changed the spelling so it could be spelled phonetically. Strange, but unfortuanately, all true. And now that it is easy to spell and pronounce, everyone screws it up...

Considering my last post, what is your last name? You can send me a PM if you prefer.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I hail from the Adamchick family gene/cess pool.

They used to spell it Addamczyck, but, as I said, my family isn't the brightest, so they changed it.

--------------------

-George Carlin

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Ah, Czech/Slovak/whateverthey'recalledthisweek name, right? My family managed to know how to spell "Olejnik" (Slovak name) correctly, but I've seen lots of other permutations of it: Olenik, Oleynik, Olenick, O'Lenik, etc.
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps