Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » More Ubuntu fun.

Author Topic: More Ubuntu fun.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's the deal: I'm running Ubuntu on a G4 iMac (because the old 802.11b Airport cards are completely compatible with Ubuntu), and I've hit a snag: I need to install Flash, and I don't know how to do it. I downloaded the installation file, but unlike Windows, it's not a self-extracting executable file. I understand that I need to write some commands in the terminal, but my Linux experience is zero. Can someone explain what I need to do in terms that an absolute monkey-brained retard like me can understand?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A thread cropped up on another board I frequent (about cars, of all things) about installing in Ubuntu...

quote:
Originally posted by fredio54:
MicroSoft Installer

Most m$ installers are msi packages, you install them (if/when you need to) by running :

code:
fred@rwdlsd:~$ msiexec 
Usage:
Install a product:
msiexec {package|productcode} [property]
msiexec /i {package|productcode} [property]
msiexec /a package [property]
Repair an installation:
msiexec /f[p|o|e|d|c|a|u|m|s|v] {package|productcode}
Uninstall a product:
msiexec /x {package|productcode} [property]
Advertise a product:
msiexec /j[u|m] package [/t transform] [/g languageid]
msiexec {u|m} package [/t transform] [/g languageid]
Apply a patch:
msiexec /p patchpackage [property]
msiexec /p patchpackage /a package [property]
Modifiers for above operations:
msiexec /l[*][i|w|e|a|r|u|c|m|o|p|v|][+|!] logfile
msiexec /q{|n|b|r|f|n+|b+|b-}
Register a module:
msiexec /y module
Unregister a module:
msiexec /z module
Display usage and copyright:
msiexec {/h|/?}
NOTE: Product code on commandline unimplemented as of yet

Copyright 2004 Vincent B�ron

with an msi file like this one :

code:
/home/fred/.wine.new.infected.with.virus/drive_c/Program Files/TunerStudioMS_v0.857_alpha.msi

Fred.

There's also this link, too.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just activated the Multiverse repository in Synaptic and installed it from there.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and the "Multiverse repository in Synaptic" is what, exactly?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Synaptic...you know, the package manager that automatically downloads and installs things you tell it to? How else are you installing software in Ubuntu?
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Man, I saw that in the Today's Posts page, and it sounds a lot more rude than I intended it to...
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

No offense taken. It turns out that PowerPC processors won't run Flash; that's why there's no option to install it in Synaptic (now that I know what Synaptic is :-)
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flash (Player, I assume you mean) does run on PowerPC... it's just that Macromedia/Adobe made the charming decision to distribute the binaries separately, instead of bundling them together.

That being said, it's entirely possible that Linux support for Flash on PowerPC might be hard to find... when I was experimenting with Linux on my iBook (three years ago or so), it took forever to get certain things working.

Also, not sure how far you are into getting settled in (I realize it might not be worth your trouble), but there's a distribution of Linux that's dedicated solely to PowerPC support: Yellow Dog Linux. It's probably not as friendly as Ubuntu has become over the years, but it might be worth a look... you might have better luck.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

I was able to install something called an SWF player, which is apparently an alternative to Flash, but the playback is jerky and the video quality sucks. Oh well. At least I got that far.

Minutiaeman, thanks for the info about Yellow Dog. The whole reason why I bought this G4 iMac on Craigslist was to learn Ubuntu on a machine where I could access the internet wirelessly without any configuring on my part (a la the Airport card). That part has been an astounding success (I'm typing this right now on the iMac). I just got into Macs not long ago and now I'm trying to learn Linux. Thanks for all your help.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flash is Satanic.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps