Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Damn computer...

Author Topic: Damn computer...
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since yesterday, my computer has decided to be a bitch, and not work properly. For some reason, Internet Explorer started suddenly shutting down without warning, every so often earlier in the day, but towards the end of the day not staying open for more than 20 seconds. Once I shut off and restarted the computer, this problem would subside for a while, then reoccur.

So, I switched to Firefox 3 last night. That worked fine for most of the day today, but is now doing a thing similar to what IE did. I am getting messages that say " BwNVxGhC.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close", with the normal windows XP "send error reports options" etc. Other times, I'll get a box with the same title, saying that it failed to open, or that some application was not able to be opened/read. That box will give me the option to terminate or debug whatever program it's referring to. At least Firefox lets me recover what I was doing last, but this is still a seriour pain in the ass.

I seem to have temporarily fixed it for now, by switching onto another user profile on my PC, but I'd like to know what's wrong and how to fix it.

I think it may well be that the computer is on it's last legs, as it is almost 12 years old, but I'm afraid it could be something more serious.

Does anyone know what might be going on here?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take an antivirus and adware scans with Avast! and SpyBot respectively; they're freeware.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't know what "BwNVxGhC.exe" is, but a Google search turns up nothing but a single site out there that says it's maybe some new spyware. Do you have any sort of adware/spyware blocker, or have you done a scan recently?
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the computer was scanned last week. I'll go try those scans that Daniel suggested. Thanks.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try www.mammals.org

Totally safe for work, unless you work in Redmond!

[Smile]

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Very funny. I'm too much of PC user though. Aren't there Macs that can run windows? That would kind of be the best of both worlds, I guess.

Thanks for the program suggestion Daniel. I ran the app, and it was kind enough to delete around 50 advertising programs from my computer. That seems to have solved the problem, hopefully, for good.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SpyBot FTW boyee.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps