Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » NASA's Back-up plan (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NASA's Back-up plan
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there is an automated landing, they'll probably go for Edwards first simply because they can easily mate her to the SCA and fly her back to KSC. Otherwise, they'll go for Vandenberg, then White Sands. The latter two would require the mate/demate equipment brought over from Edwards, while the last may damage her further due to landing on a sand runway. They would probably attempt landing at KSC as a very last resort because they don't want to risk possible complete destruction over a larger stretch of populated land.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they could only do an automated landing if the crippled shuttle was docked to the ISS.

Isn't the very reason this launch has a second shuttle on immediate standby is because the orbit HST is in is totaly different to that of the ISS, and therefore impossible to get to the ISS if the shuttle breaks.

The only options would be to leave the shuttle in orbit or a destructive re-entry. The first option would allow the eventual recovery of the craft, but is less safe in the long run than simply ditching it over the pacific ocean and hopeing Australia doesn't fine them again for littering.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. It seems the so-called "Remote Control Orbiter" cable that is required for automated flight is currently stowed on ISS. Unless they have constructed a second one, destructive re-entry is the only option. And BTW, it seems RCO procedures are primarily designed to land at Vandenberg, where there is less flight over populated area, and a possibility (claims Wikipedia) to crash land in the ocean.

Anyway. Let's hope all this remains precaution.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that was one tidbit I forgot. But what I said does basically apply for a damaged shuttle during an ISS construction/support shuttle mission.

Should Atlantis be damaged during STS-125, she'll be sent down in a tail-first destructive re-entry. More than likely, it'll also mark the absolute end of the shuttle program as NASA believes they may not be able to continue with just two orbiters left.

It'll also be the end of the program if we complete STS-125, but lose a third shuttle during one of the later missions to the ISS. Basically, once we are forced to launch a LON mission, it'll be the end of the program.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps