Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Buried glaciers on Mars (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Buried glaciers on Mars
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apologies for lack of witty title.
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's certainly more encouraging... but will that water on mars be consumable? like not filled with microbs that would really fuck you up, as per al them mars-gone-bad movies?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err, isn't that what we have water purifiers for?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda hard to screen for bugs you haven't encountered yet...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"A key question is 'How did the ice get there in the first place?'" said James W. Head of Brown University.
I actually corresponded with this fellow while researching a paper/presentation on extraterrestrial glaciation... so needless to say, this is right up my alley. [Cool]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Kinda hard to screen for bugs you haven't encountered yet...

Then boil it. I doubt Martian microbes would be any more capable of withstanding high temperatures than terrestrial bugs.

The true is that if there is microbial life on Mars, we'll most likely be more of a threat to it than it to us.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there are microbes on Mars, they'll most likely resemble archaea, so they'll be cold adapted, anerobic lithotropes or organotropes (getting energy from rocks or organic molecules).

Boiling them might not work, and they may be resistant, or at least less susceptable to radiaton etc. The only way to know would be to find them and study them.

Filtration would probably be effective, but you'd need to make sure it's just water, and that there's nothing nasty in there too. I've used filters that go down to a small number of micrometers in labs (small bacteria can be 0.1 micrometers wide though). I suppose reverse osmosis would work. Suffice to say, the boffins at NASA probably allready have a plan.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So we need to build something that can go to Mars, Land in the right place, take a core sample and return to Earth.

I think I had something like that in the garage.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The microbes might make toxins, too, so that killing them doesn't purify the water. If there are even microbes *there.* I highly doubt there's any life currently on Mars; there doesn't seem to be an ecosystem anywhere near the surface at least, which would be the most logical place - the most abundant energy source (the sun). I suppose they could exist deep down somewhere, but I wonder what they're eating that provides enough energy - how much do we know about the interior composition of Mars, anyway? We should plant some seismographs and drop a couple of really big bombs (not nukes, don't want to dirty up a pristine environment with radioactive fallout...).

And what if they weren't even carbon-based? All chemical methods might be completely ineffective, and who knows about heat and radiation tolerances in that case? Whatever they are, though, I'm sure they're susceptible to being studied and figured out.

So, in short, ... yeah. We need a core sample.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well apparently "the right place" is an area several times larger than LA, so that shouldn't be too difficult. As for the core drill an return, aren't they working on something similar for a future Europa mission anyway?
Still, I think the more likely scenario would involve an in situ robot with core drill and remote lab. After that it'd make more sense for the next step to be a manned expedition.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Mars Sample Return mission has been in the works for years. I would imagine that this would help get that on the fast track.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about that meteor that feel to Earth and was discovered to be from Mars? Did they ever determine if there were truly microbes in it?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that just need to locate that alien reactor to thicken the atmosphere. "Start the reaction, Quaid".

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
What about that meteor that feel to Earth and was discovered to be from Mars? Did they ever determine if there were truly microbes in it?

AFAIK, there was never enough evidence either way.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALH84001? I think that the jury is still out.

The bugs in question are possible fossils of very small microbe like life. Perhaps. There is no real way of proving one way or the other AFAIK.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps