Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » My dog's got the cancer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: My dog's got the cancer
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had her for 11 1/2 years since she was two months old. A couple months ago, I noticed lumps on either side of her throat. Pretty big ones.

Today we went in for her vaccinations and the vet looked at them. She was very concerned. So we did blood work and x-rays. The blood work shows a highly elevated white cell count, but the x-rays show no other tumors. And she's not sick or lethargic. But the vet is pretty sure she's got leukemia.

We talked prognosis and how I would know when it's time to think euthanasia.

This is totally the suck. But at least she's not sick yet and she doesn't appear to be in any discomfort. So I will live in hope that it will never get any worse and she'll be with me for another couple of years.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how you're feeling, I had to put one of my cats down last month due to cancer of the lymph nodes. It snuck up really fast, in the space of a week he went from all skin and bones to what looked like a furry sack of flab. What annoyed me somewhat was that this came right after we took him to the vets to have most of his teeth removed (long story, but let's say his bad teeth were what made him so skinny to begin with.) Strangest thing was though he didn't appear to be in any pain, purred away the whole time, right to the end.
Had him over 10 years and we still have his brother. But that of course whenever you have a pet, that's not a tortoise or a parrot, you're generally going to outlive them sooner or later.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that. As a pet owner myself, I'd can sympathize with knowing that your pet is sick and there's nothing you can do about it.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same here. My dog's showing signs of some pretty bad arthritis, though she's only 5. She doesn't look to be in too much pain though, except when she gets up after a nap.

Best of luck Aban. Hopefully, they can get it under control if it does get worse, or at least ease ease your pooch's suffering if the worst happens.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate hearing about any animals suffering or in pain. My old dog lived to be 17 years old, she was older than me lol. I remember staying home from school a few times just so she wouldn't be lonely.

I have to go cry now. [Frown]

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sucks. Sucks to hear about everyone's pet-related pain. We had a little dog, she lived till about 14 1/2. Which is pretty darn good, before Mum had to make the decision to put her down, as she wasn't having quality of life. Still, I always have very fond memories of that little dog. I basically grew up with her!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear it Aban.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the feeling.

My 10 year old cat was killed by an asshole driver.

Last year my 14 year old cat Furball died because of cancer. We had her since she was a kitten.

Then a few months back my other cat died from some kind of heart failure. Personally I blame the vet for giving him bad drugs as he was perfectly fine before his 6 month check up, then 2 weeks after a visit to the vet he died.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To own a dog is to know that one day you will cry.

Really sorry to hear about this, Aban- I cried like ababy when we had to euthanize my old dog (he was fifteen but it hurt like hell- he was family).

I'd think you can still continue "as is" with regular vet visits to monitor the disease and who knows?
It might go into remission and give you more time than you'd think.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here's the suck: It doesn't really matter what kind of cancer it is or what the treatment options are. I simply can't afford the thousands of dollars it will cost to do it. So if it's cancer, it will run its course and that will be that.

She also prolapsed her rectum (just a bit) for the second time in a week this morning. Like before, it went back in on its own. But I fear that each time it happens, more damage is being done.

She doesn't appear to be in any discomfort, which is a blessing, but I think she knows something isn't right.

We had a conversation yesterday about her telling me when it was time for her to say goodbye. I think she understands.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dogs are good at hiding pain, though. If it gets bad you might think about euthanasia. We did that for our dog when she got so sick she couldn't walk anymore, and I think it was a mercy.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I've asked the vet about those arrangements and I'm prepared to do that if I need to. She's given me almost 12 good years and the last thing I can do for her is give her a dignified death.

The thing that confuses me right now is the rectal prolapse. It's happened several times now, but keeps fixing itself. So what troubles me is that it could've been happening for awhile now before I noticed it. And the vet doesn't know what's causing it. It's obviously related to her going to the bathroom because that's when it happens.

Just don't know. It didn't happen this morning and she was begging for food and chasing her ball a little. So I'll just be happy about that for right now.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A rectal prolapse is the extrusion (pushing out) of the inner layers of the rectum through the anus. It is often a result of straining to defecate, urinate, or give birth. Diseases causing straining in the puppy, such as constipation, parasites, or diarrhea, may cause a displacement or protrusion of the rectum. Dogs straining to urinate because of urinary infections or other urinary disease may cause the rectum to prolapse.

If the cancer has spread to her digestive tract, it may explain the prolapse.
Could also be constipation from some medicine your vet prescribed (if any).
Best bet- call your vet: a good doctor should at least take your call- if not him, an animal hospital or the Humane Society would.

Luck with this.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Oh, I've talked this all over with the vet at length. I have a wonderful vet,by the way. She even took my call on the weekend and offered to come over to my house if needed.

The x-rays don't show any masses in her disgestive area. It happens every time she poops, so the vet put her on a stool softener (which I have to squirt down her mouth... she hates it).

The only comfort I have is that it's been going back in if she lays down and relaxes for a little bit.

My poor girl. She's just been laying around all morning. When she walks somewhere, it's very slow. She's clining to me too. She's just not ever going to be Faedra again and I guess I have to decide how long is too long.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, sooo sorry to hear about this. I know what you're going through. We lost our dog a year and a a half ago. He was almost a year old at the time. He was fine then suddenly just collapsed, spiked a fever and died within 2 hours. Tore the family up. He was inbred and we wonder if that might have contributed to it.

We know what you're going through.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps