Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Sci Fi to become SyFy

Author Topic: Sci Fi to become SyFy
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTF?!? [Eek!]
http://scifiwire.com/2009/03/sci-fi-channel-to-become.php

Okay, I realize that the SciFi Channel has made some really poor programming decisions lately, but this is just giving them an excuse to continue this crap. I mean, what the hell does wrestling have to do with science fiction? Or Pirates of the Caribbean (which I saw the other day on Sci Fi)? And I could really do without the monster-of-the-week low budget crapfest movies they've been putting out.

When watching the BSG special last night, I assume I wasn't the only one growling at the screen when Bonnie Hammer was on?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PotC is at least border-line science-fiction, I mean, if you consider paranormal stuff "sci-fi." Walking talking skeletons? C'mon, sci-fi!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live for crappy monster flicks, the spirit of MST3K still lives on in many of us who were B-moview fans from an early age. Low-budget sci-fi is a breeding ground for new ideas and stacked actresses in tight suits, so lets not knock it.

As for the rebranding and veering down the trailer-park route, that's just accountancy in action. Reality TV? Wrestling? Someone somewhere knows a bandwagon when they see it.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So at this point the executives of Sci-Fi must have their heads so far up their ass they can see their own tonsils.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it were NOT for Sci-Fi, WHO would support Stephen Baldwin?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who thinks the new name sounds like medical short hand for a rather nasty venereal infection?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry son, you have the SyFy. Maybe you shouldn't have gone on that dating show.
HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not surprised this is Bonnie Hammer's doing. (Of course, in this age of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, I can't think of her name without giggling like a schoolgirl.)

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I read this story, I've had this hilarious mental image:

INT. BOARDROOM

It looks strangely like an ancient Roman forum.

EXECUTIVE
Fellow executives, shall we keep churning out
cheap and lame Saturday-afternoon specials to
try to boost ratings, or should we aspire to a
worthier goal and make quality, entertaining
programs for the fans? What say you?

The executives all stand, raise their fists, and shout:

OTHER EXECUTIVES
Fuck the fans!

(With apologies to Mel Brooks.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Am I the only one who thinks the new name sounds like medical short hand for a rather nasty venereal infection?

This just in: "Syfy" is actually the plural of the Polish word for "venereal diseases." Also used to connote general filth. (Also also, it means "acne.")

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone find a source for that Syfy (ugh) executive's quote about sci-fi being associated with video-game-playing geeks living in their parents' basements? 'Cause that's comedic gold right there.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Syfy = ugh. Though I agree with the comment the branding has been male-oriented.

But I think it's one of those things that some people will complain loudly about and then get used to after a while. Like "Wii".

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love playing my Wii. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This doesn't surprise me. The Sci Fi Channel has been trying to distance itself from science fiction. Case in point, ECW.

Sure they still have BSG and Stargate, well their upcoming spin-offs anyway. Yeah they still air sci-fi show repeats like TNG and ENT. But what about other shows? Back in the late 90's when I was in high school I remember coming home and watching shows like Quantum Leap, seaQuest DSV, Babylon 5 for example.

I read a while back that USA Network owns the Sci Fi Channel and is responsible for what it airs. Which would explain why ECW, which should be on USA is on Sci Fi. And that this person is not a sci-fi fan, pretty much hating the genre.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps