Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Memorial Day 2009

Author Topic: Memorial Day 2009
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, not technically until tomorrow.

John Eaves made a little blog post about this weekend at: http://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/05/22/memorial-day/

Aside from Veteran's Day, it's one of two days out of an entire year were we honor our military.

Care for our government's policy or not. I always feel the need to acknowledge what past and present Navy/Marines/Army/Air Force enlisted and officers have done for our country.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I just wish we got to honor them all at home.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Happy belated Veterans' Day to all people serving in the armed forces.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Yeah, I just wish we got to honor them all at home.

Amen to that.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank God for Memorial Day. Four day weekends FTW!!

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Clearly misses the point.

I've never been in the military myself, but I have several family members that are either currently serving or veterans. I also work indirectly for the military since I design aircraft for them, so I do get a little exposure to what they have to go through every day.

On Memorial Day, I spent the morning in a local cemetery as part of a ceremony honoring those who serve, which included the mayor and several dignitaries. My small part of this was playing drums with a community concert band, which is an all-volunteer group (we don't do these performances for pay).

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B.J.:

Being actually in the military, I can tell you from first hand experience that Memorial Day means a lot to us, the recognition we get for serving is great. But nothing really beats getting a nice 4 day weekend from work, considering how long and how much we do actually work.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strictly speaking, Memorial Day only recognizes you if you're dead.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shikaru808:
Being actually in the military, I can tell you from first hand experience that Memorial Day means a lot to us, the recognition we get for serving is great.

Ah. Apologies, shikaru!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.