Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » New PC Woot! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New PC Woot!
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've noticed that the most complaints about Vista were with computers that couldn't really handle it. Comparatively, my system is a little slower than the ones mentioned here, but still pretty adequate:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz
2GB DDR2 PC6400
EVGA GeForce 8800GS
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L

It was a pretty good system when I built it, which was August 2008. I have the capacity for 8GB of RAM, which I haven't taken advantage of yet. At any rate, I can run Vista no problem and run lots of programs with hardly taxing the processor. The only thing I've noticed is that GTA IV tends to run a wee bit slow but certainly doesn't hinder gameplay enjoyment. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux: For GTA IV, make sure Antialiasing and far-away shadows is either very low or disabled, worked for me. Also, be DAMNED sure to switch off the "automatic movie recording" feature that records the last ten seconds of gameplay all the time, it is the source of more stutter and bluescreens than any other GTA-feature, super-believe me.

I finished it a few months ago, won't be playing it again for a long time, maybe until Rockstar Games comes around to releasing the two expansions for PC, which should be around 2016, or the year communist China falls, whichever comes first.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should put GTA IV on the shelf and look into Saints Row 2 for PC. It's way better than GTA. Any game that lets you control a septic truck to spray people with high resolution turds gets an A+ in my book.

Oh and OverRon, don't even bother with overclocking, you get a minor performance boost at the cost of shortening the life span of the cpu. My mobo came with a real time OC program and I just leave it as is.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You assume my copy exists in other than digital form.... [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah I see, well SR2 is still better.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought this last December for a mere $500 (of course not counting the gifts I received).

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300
Intel DP45SG Motherboard
4 GB Patriot DDR3-1333 RAM
Antec Sonata III Case with 500W power supply
Seagate 500 GB Hard Drive (gift from two friends)
Radeon X1950XTX 512 MB Video Card (gift from another friend, he didn't want it, and I didn't want to spring $200 on a video card, hey it still works nicely....)
2 LG DVDRW.

On the wishlist for this machine:
Creative X-Fi Sound card (I currently use the integrated sound card at the moment)
New Video Card (maybe a Radeon 5850 when it comes out)
1 TB Hard Drive (probably Seagate).

My previous machine which I bought 6 years ago is still around and kicking. It is a P4 3.0C with 2 GB of RAM and now serves as my media centre hooked to my LCD TV. Unfortunately, I can't play Blu-Ray on that machine because it is simply too slow. Once that machine kicks the bucket, I may spring for a new media centre machine with a Blu Ray player.....

One question for anyone: do you know if Windows 7 supports hardware acceleration for discrete sound cards? I know that Vista did not do that (sound processing was handled by the OS itself), was wondering if they went back on the new Windows.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps