Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » They gave Obama what?! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: They gave Obama what?!
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whuddafah? He's only been president for 10 months!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8299824.stm

I'm surprised to say the least. What's everyone else think?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, 10 months after Bush took office, we were at war with Iraq, so I think Obama's track record is a bit better in that regard.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that's going to make things difficult for him. I wonder who's idea this was.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a bit of a double-take, myself. But as I see it, he's done a pretty amazing job rehabilitating the image of the US in the world's eyes and re-involving the country in international relations.

Think about that speech he gave in Cairo a few months ago... an American politician who could speak to the world in a respectful, non-patronizing manner, while demonstrating a clear knowledge and respect for customs, is an unfortunate rarity these days.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As one who voted for him, I said "WTF."

This should have been later, when we see how it all works out.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to laugh my tuckus off if he starts WWIII now
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my local news covered it, they mentioned that the deadline for Nobel peace prize nominations is February 1st...which means that whoever submitted him did so based off of his first week and a half in office. [Eek!]

I think he's doing a good job in office and all...but wtf? This is a bit too soon.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling this was more of jab at Bush and his policies than any sort recognition of Obama.
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*grins* what IF it was a Bush croonie who put the request in?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Well, 10 months after Bush took office, we were at war with Iraq, so I think Obama's track record is a bit better in that regard.

But are we not still at war in both Iraq and Afghanistan? Has Obama really made any substantial changes to Bush's policies on those fronts? What peace, exactly, are we talking about?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I'm going to laugh my tuckus off if he starts WWIII now

Hell yeah! This is like a coupon for "One free war"
or possibly a "Get out of Mideast Conflict free" card.

Sure pushes the bad taste of the Olympics out of the news cycle though.

Republicans: FAUX OUTRAGE.
Really, they're irate that our country's president got one of the world's highest honors- WTF?!?
Yep, this will keep the conspiracy nuts going for a good long while...

It's a pretty odd thing though- Obama himself said he was suprised and that he did not deserve this, but I now see the rationale behind it- a former Peace Prize winner was saying that the award is as much for fostering peace and goodwill as anything else- Jimmy carter sure never made peace in the middle east but got the award for trying (and for bringing it to the forefront of world attention, I suppose).
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:

But are we not still at war in both Iraq and Afghanistan? Has Obama really made any substantial changes to Bush's policies on those fronts? What peace, exactly, are we talking about?
Well, he is pulling soldiers out of Iraq as quickly as the timetable allows, he's closing Gitmo (it's already 75% empty of illeagaly held detainees)aaaaand....er....he got that dog....and...um...

Hey, he's at least as good a choice as some of the former reciepants- but everyone thinks this is too soon.

Watch for Obama to accept the award on behalf of some worthy cause like the Iranian freedom demonstrators or something cool like that.

And it's not like he can turn down the award- that would be a biiig political nightmare.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, 10 months after Bush took office, we were at war with Iraq..."

Afghanistan. We didn't invade Iraq until March 2003.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's either to praise him or shame him. Take your pick.

Everyone I talked to, whether they liked him or not had to do a double take to see if the universe was still standing or something.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm waiting for the Obama Shrine doll to be released so everyone can bow before it and do obeisance in their own home.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Afghanistan. We didn't invade Iraq until March 2003.
My point was that Obama didn't start any of those wars. He just inherited them. And I also never said that he deserved the peace prize, just that his track record was better than Bush's.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.