Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Germany gets the "Aliens APC/Tim Burton Batmobile" 2-in-One

Author Topic: Germany gets the "Aliens APC/Tim Burton Batmobile" 2-in-One
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Rheinmetall GEFAS, Bundeswehr's new plaything, is doing the rounds. V-shaped hull, switchable mission module, available in 4x4, 6x6 and 8x8. Its long snout, "brick shithouse" silhouette and rear roof-mounted cannon made me think of the above two franchises.

On top of those two sci-fi references, it feels like the aft carriage is reminiscent of "Doc" Brown's DeLorean, and the GEFAS' instrument panel is reminiscent of the original Knight Rider K.I.T.T.

The question now is, how well does it stand up to acid clowns?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When a really big IED hits it, it'll just look pretty as the nose is shot into the air, and just ensure the crew is injuried or killed upon impact... is it a proto type or production model (i'm not savy on modern armor lately), Nim?
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to defensenews.com there are only a couple of product demonstrators ATM.

I assume that by "really big IED" you mean something like one or more 105mm artillery shells.

If that's the case, I don't think even a MBT can survive something like that.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The GEFAS weighs 17 metric tons to the Hummer's 3 tons, so an IED that would flip a Hummer on its roof would only jolt the GEFAS. It has space for bolting on additional reactive armor packs as well, something the Hummer struggled with.

If the enemy knows the time and place and has the resources, naturally any vehicle in the world can be destroyed, but for all the other scenarios it's about increasing the odds of survivability while staying functional and flexible. The MRAPs were developed to replace the Hummers and other small transports, but they were too clunky and wide to move in city streets and alleys, hence the new generation of smaller high-protection vehicles.

Generally I'm not into military transports, but this design was neat. It's the first of the new slew of medium armored vehicles (2003-) that has some Cameron-ish coolness to it, a design that stands out and is recognizable. The rest are mostly shoeboxes, secure but boring shoeboxes.

I wonder how it would look in dark blue SWAT-color? What do you think, modeler guys?

EDIT: Thought of another reference with this thing, the Combine APC.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is the driver supposed to see shit with that crazy long nose?
Someone could run out in front of the thing and do whatever- drop an explosive or just fall down- and the driver would have no clue which.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would presume that they probably have cameras up front for just such an occasion.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
Member # 205

Yes, I believe that little black knob on the front might be just that. Also, in that picture it looks like it will roll away without a driver and start swearing loudly in Cybertronian, popping smoke grenades to the left and right.

Funny, I was so caught up in Sci-fi references that I overlooked the most similar design this vehicle resembles.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps