Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Another real-life Trek tech prediction

Author Topic: Another real-life Trek tech prediction
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that time when Data mentioned that television disappeared some time in the early 21st century? And everyone scoffed at the idea, as if TV was somehow going to just peter out as people lost interest?

That idea came to mind as I read this amusing article, and realized that the prediction might not be so crazy after all. After all, I'm not paying for cable TV service... I just use the TV as a large display for videos from my computer.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've suspected this for some years now, though it really depends on how you define "television". I have (recently) Virgin media, which for the benefits of non-Brits is a cable service, but while it has about 165 odd broadcast channels, the bulk of the content is in on-demand streaming, some of it (like BBCiplayer) is straight off the web.

So I'd say the future will be programs (dramas, documentaries, movies etc.) released to on-demend services for limited periods with only the likes of news programs and sports on "live" broadcast channels.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There will still be a demand for TV as long as they broadcast HD content. However, as soon as bandwidth capabilities allow for streaming of HD, THEN TV will be good and dead.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, they're already streaming HD via YouTube. Plus, I get a lot of my TV (in HD) from the iTunes store anyway. I can watch it whenever, no ads, no need to wait for DVDs (and then rip them).

Besides, isn't broadcast HD TV usually only 1080i/720p anyway? And aren't on-demand services primarily IP-based, too? When we had FiOS at my last apartment, I figured that the on-demand stuff was network-based.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since Comcast is buying NBC and they are also the asshats looking to charge customers tier-based internet services based on bandwidth....
Yeah- I can see mega-corporations controlling all TV media content and the whole thing going the way of the mamamoth.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still watch TV. However my apartment complex bundles my cable with my rent. In other words, I can't not have cable. So whether I want Comcast or not, I have it.

Although there's still a lot of shows I watch online.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:

Yes, we know what kind of shows those are, pallie.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:

Yes, we know what kind of shows those are, pallie.
Twap. Twap. Twaptwaptwaptwap[insert linkie from YoupR0n]twaptwaptwaptwap...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never before has Pensive's user title been more appropriate...

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah well they're entertaining and educational.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always assumed that eventually, televised media will take the form of something like "The Net" from the DS9 episode Past Tense. Television, movies, news, games, all bundled together in some fashion. The advent of on-demand, DVR, Wi-Fi, streaming and HD services seems to make something like this inevitable. Once corporations find a way to "own" these things, it'll happen.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's my feeling too. So enjoy the relatively free internet while you can, I don't think it'll last for very much longer.

As for other sci-fi public media based concepts; I'm still waiting for Babylon 5's customisable, on-demand printing & recycling newspaper vending machines. If anything that environmentally sensible comes out, you know the future has finally arrived (flying car pending.)

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

You're waiting for Babylon 5's customisable, on-demand printing & recycling newspaper vending machines?
I dont think the show really had that kind of fanbase or marketing appeal for vending machines, frankly.
What part of the B5 themed vending machine would you customize anyway?

Now Star Wars has potential- a big Power droid soda machine or newspaper machine would be neat. [Wink]

A few years back there was a printer that could re-use the paper it already printed onto- it stripped the (specialized, I'd imagine) toner off the page, leaving a nice clean sheet.

The drawback was that it was slow, but they were supposedly working on that.

No idea is they still are though.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps