Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I am engaged (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I am engaged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, just in case anyone remembers who I am, and to stop my facebook wall filling up, I am engaged. To Sharon. She's a pathologist, we have a house, I proposed while dressed as Batman, and we're getting married next year.

I would squee, but that would be embarassing. I will say that weddings are bloody expensive. And that Assassin's Creed II is awesome. I know that's not related to the wedding, but it's worth noting.

Squee!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He has me to blame for posting this. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you think dressing as Batman was a little unfair? Who's going to say "no" to Batman? I'd marry you, if you were dressed as Batman.
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few tips.

1. Elope. Much cheaper in the long run, weddings are hideously expensive. Run away, do the romantic thing in the Caribbean or somewhere nice, and save a fortune.

2. Spend all your money now. ALL. You wont see any from the moment you get married, that's no longer yours to spend.

3. Good luck. To quote Doug Stanhope, promising to love someone for the rest of your life is like promising to be lucky for the rest of your life, it's not something you can genuinely do.

Do I sound bitter and single? I am. Damn!

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Begin practicing the art of feigning "Hearing Loss".

You will understand fully one day, Grasshopper.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah goddammit, is there anyone left here besides Andrew who doesn't have a life yet? Anyone at all?

Bitches all be gettin' serious and moving on after 30, the fuck is that?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HAHAHAH HEY!! I have a life!! Really!! I do!!!

My whole-hearted congratulations Liam and Sharon! Woohoo! [Smile]

One day we should all catch up somewhere. Have a little convention of sorts! [Smile] We've been 'chatting' for nigh on 13 years!!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turning 30 was what did it, actually. I was desperatly trying to avoid being all Bashir in "Distant Voices" (especially the dying by hallucination bit), so I figured the only way to distract myself was by having a big party where I got to dress as Batman, and having a surprise proposal.

She was dressed as Poison Ivy. Which wasn't quite thematically correct, but I pretended it was Catwoman in surprise.

We're focussing most of the money on the honeymoon. It's very tricky getting married at the moment. Lots of people are, so there is a danger of wedding fatuige. And if you're competing with Indian weddings, or rich daddy weddings, then you can easily end up looking like a poor option. We checked out Chester Zoo, but it wasn't quite big enough.

Axeman: Good point about not having money after marriage (although surely it's more "not having money after kids". Financially, I'll be better off once we're married. Pathologist beats Systems Administrator (what does that even mean? And how many brackets am I going to use? Who knows?). Suger-mummy for the win!) Besides, I already have all 3 current-gen games consoles. I can't think of anything else to buy.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked with my friends (the married ones) who gave me the advice, and they confirm it's 'SPEND ALL YOUR MONEY NOW!' and not 'when you get kids'. It was actually prefixed "Promise me,..." I think kids dont matter, because she'll have the rest of your life mapped out in fine detail from this point on (including kids), and it has to be funded now.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy shit first Baloo pops in, then Liam announces he's engaged and now Cartman shows up? Now we just need First of Two to poke in and Elim Garak to make an appearance...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! You could always go for the potluck reception. Please do not take out a loan to pay for your wedding. Getting into debt in order to get married is lame.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now if you had your wedding dressed as Batman that would be full of geeky awesome.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well damn! Congratulations!
Proposing as Batman was indeed a smooth thing to do- if rejected, the mask hides the tears.

Damn- we've all been posting forever- now most are setteling down.

Insane.

I agree that you should go simple on the wedding and wild on the honeymoon.
If you plan things right and have your wedding on the "off season" (fall, I think) you can save bigtime on reserving someplace for a reception or party or whatever.

Again, Congrats, Liam!
You get the happy DS9 ending and not the whole "falling into flames" version. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps