Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Tetanus anyone? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tetanus anyone?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I've updated my list of things to avoid on Sunday evenings to include stepping on nails. I was tearing apart an old wooden shelf in my garage so I could build a new worktable. Ironically, I was in the middle of the hammering down the nails so that I *wouldn't* step on them when I took a step left to shift my weight and heard the popping sound of a nail piercing the sole of my shoe. It was followed quickly by the pain of it piercing the sole of my foot.

Little bugger went about a half an inch in.

So now I'm limping and I have an appointment this evening to get a nice tetanus shot. To my credit, though, after I washed the wound out well, I manned up and went back outside and finished my shelves.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you should try to get rabies in the meantime [Razz]
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In an ironic twist of fate, last night I stepped on a pile of clothes while cleaning my bedroom and had a star trek commbadge spike me in the foot. Years ago I bought a red TNG top to go to a party as Riker (albeit a fat Riker), and it came with one of those metal badges with the two spikes in the rear. The little catch has fallen off one, and I found the damn thing with my foot.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(albeit a fat Riker) [/QB]
Err, so just Riker then.

I did the nail thing once - it hurts like a, well a nail through your foot! It was nice discover that my steel work boots had broken that way. Heals quickly and cleanly though and in a month or so you'll never know you did it.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also stepped on a nail, thankfully it wasn't rusty or anything. It was 2 inches long and it went all the way in. That was the last time I ever cried in pain seeing as nothing that's happened to me since hurt quite that much. Although the road rash and twisted/burnt ankle from when I got clipped by a car comes in as a very close second.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was really glad it didn't go all the way through, though if it had been long enough it would have.

What's weird is, it happened so fast and it went between the bones so there wasn't much pain. It actually hurts more now than it did right when I did it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's shock and adrenalin for you. I've seen guys get up from motorbike crashes trying to laugh it off and continue on their way, only to be dragged off in an ambulance half an hour later with all sorts of broken bones.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Axeman 3D:
That's shock and adrenalin for you. I've seen guys get up from motorbike crashes trying to laugh it off and continue on their way, only to be dragged off in an ambulance half an hour later with all sorts of broken bones.

Yeah, I've been there. After I got clipped by a car a few years ago I didn't notice that my ankle was burnt from the hot exhaust pipe pinning it against the ground. I walked around fine for about an hour until it started hurting like all hell.

Road rash is kind of the same in that you don't feel it right away.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Got my tetanus shot last night. So now I can go around scraping myself with rusty metal for the next 10 years without fear.

Everyone kept telling me it would burn. It must've been the skill of the nurse though, because I barely felt it. My arm is a little sore, but no different than if someone had given me a slug-bug.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slug-bug?

You made that up.

I got the shot a few years back when I wisely ran a paper drillbit into my hand at work.
I guess I've got enough crap in my system from my leg's issues that it did not hurt at all.

I got to giggeling with another employee at the stupidity of it (while it's gushing blood into a paper towell) and had a hard time convincing our boss to come take me to the emergency room.
Helps that my boss was also a friend and lived upstairs from me, two blocks away!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Axeman 3D:

Didn't see it for myself but a mate of a guy I used to work with got his wrist obliterated when the ram of a hydraulic lift he was working on suddenly lost pressure. From what I'm told he didn't try to laugh it off at all. Shock and adrenaline will only help you so far. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

You've never heard of a slug-bug? A volkswagon bug drives by and you slug the guy standing next to you in the arm and say "Slug-bug Blue" (or whatever color it is).

It's kind of rednecky, I'll admit, but not all that obscure. Least I didn't think so.

Here's the funny thing... I stepped on it Sunday, got the shot Monday, then on Tuesday, I started getting sick. Got flu symptoms Wednesday and had to leave work early. Stayed home Thursday and have... err... bathroom issues today. The timing is a little weird and I'm wondering it if doesn't have something to do with the nail.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably just side effects from the injection. That or a mild infection. Still, best to check and be sure if it won't go away.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Yah, if it hasn't cleared up by Monday, I'm calling the doctor again. I've just been so tired. Wednesday, I actually had to drive to the park at lunch and take a nap. Then ended up leaving early anyway. Someone told me the injection might give me flu-like symptoms too... but they never mentioned it at the doctor's office.

*shrug* I feel a bit better this evening. After 3 naps today and lots of Stargate: Atlantis episodes.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll be autistic by monday- just ask America's premier scientist- Jenny McCarthy.

I still say you made up "slug bug"....but then again, I grew up in miami (also known as North Cuba) and we saw very few Volkswagons.
Lots of bugs though- mosquitos that'd drain you into so much jerky.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps