Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » facebook ethics (or am i allowed to UNfriend peps without feeling like a dick?) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: facebook ethics (or am i allowed to UNfriend peps without feeling like a dick?)
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's my situation. i friended someone that has a passing interest to meet & greet at one time but did that 'i'm seeing someone else now' text and since i'm unlikely to even visit that part of the region that she lives in, i'm less interested in hearing about who she is friends with now, or who likes what. So how do i remove someone from my friends list without making myself feel guilty for doing it? (i'm not angry with her, i simply no longer nor care to know what's going on with her... and since she was only a common aquantance to someone else that i do know well...)

so what do i do? o.O

yeah, this is a stupid topic but since i will be a civilian soon, little things like this need addressing since i'm a noob when it comes to being a civilian, vice service member...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically, if you only want to hide who she is friends with or who likes what, I think you can start clicking the "hide" button on the news feed to hide stories about people and thing you aren't interested.

For example, I've hidden specific people and all Facebook game updates.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's highly unlikely she'll even know you've removed her from your friends list unless she tries to find your profile in her friends list and discovers it's not there anymore. I had a buddy on my friends list who left Facebook and then returned later. The only reason I even knew he was gone was because he friend-requested me again. I was like "didn't I already accept you before?"

Or, conversely, just delete her and don't worry about feeling bad. Shit like that happens all the time on Facebook. People get over it real fast.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

I forgotten about that semi transparent hide icon. thanks guys. she is hidden and i am guilt free... i think?

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got off Facebook over a year ago and couldn't be happier with my decision. I've seen so many people I know go through so much drama and stress over Facebook nonsense. Of course, some of them are a bit cookaloo. And drama's what happens when you mix cookaloo with a public audience.

But yah... I was going to suggest you just hide all updates from her.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Facebook leads to status updates such as

Person 1:"Fuck fuck fuck fuck damnit damnit why did it have to happen to me!!???? I hate life"
Person 2: "Has something happened? Please tell us! :-("
Person 1: "Can't talk, too personal."

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Facebook leads to status updates such as

Person 1:"Fuck fuck fuck fuck damnit damnit why did it have to happen to me!!???? I hate life"
Person 2: "Has something happened? Please tell us! :-("
Person 1: "Can't talk, too personal."

I hear you. This is a sampling of updates from people I know feeds for today.

"what does it say about life when i have to bribe myself to get out of bed in the morning with the promise that if i make it thru the day i can go back to bed?"

"A little piece of you dies each day, sometimes I wish they would all just die at the same time.. it would make life easier"

"You ever woke up from a dream, and couldn't stop shaking?"

I might ad that none of these are from teenage girls, but in fact all grown men. I swear facebook turns average people into whinny bitches.

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think people just love to talk about themselves, and Facebook etc. gives them an apparently legitimate way to do it.

Damn you, Internet.

Damn you.

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I love the website "tweetingtoohard", it's a daily showcase of the most self-important people's posts on Twitter, far more entertaining than Twitter itself.

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never signed up for Facebook or any of those "social networking" sites- I dont want to see the assholes from highschool or their asshole children.
I dont want to catch up with ex-girlfriends or former co-workers either- if they're happy and breeding, I dont care to know.

I like Flare- the Antisocial Networking Site.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Member # 1203

oh go fluck with teh frnech people, Jason :3 and dry hump to some pengiun pr0n, while you're at it (haven't mentioned them in while...)

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I never signed up for Facebook or any of those "social networking" sites- I dont want to see the assholes from highschool or their asshole children.
I dont want to catch up with ex-girlfriends or former co-workers either- if they're happy and breeding, I dont care to know.

I like Flare- the Antisocial Networking Site.

Amen to that. I also don't care for texting, sexting, or talking on the phone with people for long periods of time. I just stick with video games, Gordon Freeman is the only one who understands me. [Wink]

Also what's this I hear about Pensive being retired? You retired from the Navy?

Teh PW
Member # 1203

[Big Grin] well, in the process of doing that, actually. give me a couple months to be official. I got 2 months of terminal leave on the books to spend before then...

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell is "Terminal Leave"?
Sounds like something they'd give you after a diagnosis of a fatal disease.

Dont die without explaining what that penguin comment was all about. [Wink]

Mars, I'm right there with you- I own a cell phone but rarely carry it, I never text anything and honestly dont give a shit for the iphone ot ipad or their many and varied applications.
I despise people that talk on their phones in public places- particularly on the bus or when buying something.

It's rude beyond words- at my job I just say "I'll wait untill you're finished" and walk away from anyone on a cell phone.

I dont think I fit too well with the modern world.
Fuck it.
(shrugs)

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me either, and I'm 23. I don't even own a cell phone. People act like I have a disease.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.