Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Election Time! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Election Time!
FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
...Alastair Campbell is in all fairness a gigantic git who was being intentionally provocative and makes a habit of blaming everything from his uneven driveway to the black death on Sky and the BBC's reporting methods.

Oh well that's fine then, if I'm in an argument with someone and decide I want to start to shout in their face and start waving my arms about, I can just put it down to them being a git, can I? There's no chance that could backfire on me when someone points out that in fact it's me who is the git, is there? No? [Smile]

And here was me thinking that Campbell was being quite reasonable in the exchange - he was trying to answer the question put to him, made a comment about what he thought Boulton thought, and then when Boulton went off like a firework Campbell tried to calm the man down because he was embarassing himself on live television. Now granted, he maybe shouldn't have tried to put words in Boulton's mouth by saying what he was thinking, but all Boulton had to do was say "I don't think that" and come back with something reasonable. What he did was to flare up (no pun intended) and act like an arsehole by raising his voice and adopting quite an aggressive physical stance. No need. If you want to fill some air time with a fat guy who has a bit of an odd look and some anger management issues then get Nick Griffin in, that's what he's good at.

Bugger me though, that all happened fast! One out, one in, with the residents of Walford Square being classed as collateral damage. Thought Gordon Brown's exit speech was very dignified - struck the right note and off he went with his family. Presumably to sleep through to next Wednesday! Cameron's speech hit the expected notes though I'll be interested to see how his relationship with Nick Clegg develops. I anticipate something along the lines of "Two sugars Nick, there's a good lad." but time will tell.

Still can't see how a Con/Dem coalition will work though. If they offer a referendum on the AV system, are they really expecting it to look credible when the PM stands up to the country and says "Don't vote for this! Boo!" and the Deputy PM stands up and says "Vote for this! Woohoo!" about the same issue? What about by-elections, will the coalition partners contest the same seats? What about when Cameron's right starts to rebel against being pulled to the centre, and Clegg's left starts to do the same? And what about the next election, when Clegg turns to the electorate and says "Vote Lib Dem" when 5 million people will be able to say "Well we did that, mate, and we got Tory, so why should we?". Interesting and worrying times ahead but I gleefully anticipate a proper Lib Dem kicking at the next election.

Of course, I might be biased. [Smile]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Just a tad mate! [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FawnDoo:
All of which is immediately followed up by the BBC reporter saying that people could end up with a PM they didn't vote for.

You have an activist Supreme Court too?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
You have an activist Supreme Court too?

What we have is an awful lot of people who either seem to think they live in America, have watched too much "West Wing" DVDs, or both. And a mass media that seems to agree with them.

I thought that the press conference with Eric and Ernie - sorry, David and Nick - was laying it on a bit thick. They did everything but snog the faces off of one another like teenagers at a school disco who have downed too much cheap cider. Have some dignity, lads - or at least rent a cheap hotel room, knock a few stiff drinks back, get freaky and then it's out of your system once and for all. If anyone catches them at it, they can just claim that two lesbians on a ship several universes away temporarily took over their bodies. We could corroborate that, right? [Smile]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still a more viable explanation than "I was hiking the Apalachian Trail" while really skipping off to south america to shag the mistress.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is ANYONE going to vote for the Lib Dems at the next election? If they don't get electoral reform passed, Clegg has essentially ruined any chance they've got at being elected for the next 30 years for one or two years at being first officer.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it depends on what goes down over the next few years. I'm sure what they're hoping for is to take as many seats from Labour as possible the next time round, or the proposed House of Lords reforms could get them a strong foothold in the second chamber. So long as they're daydreaming...

--------------------

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two weeks into the government, it's really impossible to make an informed judgement. While my initial thoughts are that the Lib Dems sold out their voters (after all, no-one who voted Lib Dem would have particularly wanted a Tory government), you could argue that needs must when the devil fails to turn out to vote. A lot could happen over the next few years, so we'll see what happens...I wouldn't be surprised to see a change of leadership with both the Lib Dems and the Tories before the next election, so it's hard to say what the outcome could be.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone been watching Have I Got News For You recently? Is it me, or is Ian Hislop doing a very poor job of appearing unbiased?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Your political system is very confusing- I suggest you adopt the non-partisan syatem we use in the States.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Yeah, because the US is a paradigm of political stability and as we are we must have a civil war every two or three hundred years, it's crazy! [Razz]

Anyway, our political system is very easy to understand, just ask Sir Humphry.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Whenever I think of "Humphry", I think of Mr. Humphries from Are You Being Served?

Really, a government run by him would be pretty funny...I'd vote for him.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps