Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Introductions, sorta, a bit late maybe

Author Topic: Introductions, sorta, a bit late maybe
agnosticnixie
Member # 2219

- posted      Profile for agnosticnixie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, hi, I'm Lauren, 20-something, physical anthropology student, and apparently all around geek. Likes RPG, has been passing on the bug to friends and siblings since my teens.
I travel a lot, and write a lot. I sometimes do large walls of text (duh), but try not to (the reverse is true in term papers).
I tend to pick nits a lot, and like to think about the more pedestrian elements going on in settings I like: the big damn heroes are fun but they're part of a large world. Still I enjoy well-written character pieces.
And I'm currently trying to go through House of Leaves. And Firefly.

And I guess I could kind of apologize for having a wall of text as first post >.>

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Flare- dont sweat a wall of text- most of our rambling posts stretch far further.

What does "physical anthropology" entail exactly?
As opposed to "spiritual anthropology" for example. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

agnosticnixie
Member # 2219

- posted      Profile for agnosticnixie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, it's a bit of a distinction without a difference at times, and it's relative to cultural (but physical/biological anthropologists still deal with culture anyway), and it's more broad than what I really hope to do after I graduate, it's things like medical anthropology, primatology (other apes), palaeoanthropology (hominids in general), etc. It tends to involve genetics, osteology (a good chunk of most anthropology degrees is biology [Razz] ), thus the physical bit, and the last one is basically archaeology.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say no more, I think you'll find there's an infinite number of apes to observe here. Welcome!
(PS: Avoid studying the eating habits and grooming procedures, though, neither are meant for human eyes)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait wait wait... hold on a sec. Are you a girl?

The last girl we had show up was becky and we're pretty sure she was a robot or something.

But watching Firefly... ok points for that. Do you love it? If you love it you can stay.

agnosticnixie
Member # 2219

I actually loved it, I can't believe I never watched it in all these years, checking the dates on the dvds tells me I was just barely in HS at the time xD

Friends say I'm a robot at times (awkward hugs especially lead to this), does this count?

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm into halflings and penguin Pr0n...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awkward hugs lead to restraining orders. Sometimes.

OK... you can stay. [Smile]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by agnosticnixie:

Friends say I'm a robot at times (awkward hugs especially lead to this), does this count?

I get that too- especially when I go around swing my arms and yelling "CRUSH! KILL! DESTROY!

So, I was thinkning that you could throw all your professors for a loop by studying th remains of primates that people have killed for cultural and economic reasons.
Let them attempt to quantify that. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps