Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Maybe too good to be true, but here's hoping... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Maybe too good to be true, but here's hoping...
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thorium reactors allegedly able to wean world off oil in five years
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, I doubt that thorium will take off. For one thing, the article itself hints at why thorium isn't already in widespread use.

The potential of thorium reactors was well know way back in the 50's and 60's. But the government specifically chose uranium reactors because they generated radioactive waste—that could be used in nuclear warheads.

And of course, these days people pay no attention to thorium at all. I wonder if there would be so much concern over Iran and North Korea building their reactors if they used thorium instead...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but you knoe there would be an accident that would turn us all into Norse Gods- cant have that now, can we?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one thing that puts me off is that this was advoctaed by the Torygraph. Maybe it's me, but agreeing with them just feels wrong on so many levels! [Razz]
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blah. Dudes. People have been saying "X will get us off oil in Y years" for like...ever. Nothing like this will take off in our lifetimes...cuz oil is *profitable*. Why is that so hard to understand :-/
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because you can get greedy, hoarding people to do anything you want as long as you present them with a way of doing it that yields equal or higher payoff for less effort spent. Duh-ouh-ouh!? [Roll Eyes]
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
Blah. Dudes. People have been saying "X will get us off oil in Y years" for like...ever. Nothing like this will take off in our lifetimes...cuz oil is *profitable*. Why is that so hard to understand :-/

Well oil won't be profitable forever and from what I gather, at the rate we're going I wouldn't be surprised if most of us live to see it run out entierly. We're going to have to find something that works pretty soon if we intend civilisation to see the 22nd century.

Until we crack fusion reactors, developing smaller, more efficient and safer fission reactors is the best place to focus our efforts. As it stands, solar, wind and wave power can only supplement demand, not meet it. Even that is occasionally hampered by a particular breed of moron that thinks wind turbines are a bad idea because they're an eyesore...No joke. I really despair for the species sometimes.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oil won't be profitable forever, but it'll be profitable for quite awhile. It's been awhile since I read an estimate of how 'much' we have left, but I thought the estimate at the time was over a century.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? When I was in school we were taught it was more like 30-50 years left on all fossil fuels, not just oil and that was well over a decade ago. Of course back then there wasn't the access to the Arctic deposits that there is now, so that may have extended things by a few decades, but it'd still depends on accurately predicting rates of consumption and I'm pretty sure we've been using more than anticipated.

--------------------

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, when I was in school we were taught/told that there was at most 50-years of oil and gas left...and I left school nearly a decade ago (which is more depressing than anything else). Granted coal deposits will supposedly last a few centuries, but that doesn't help with cars and things of that nature.

The whole windfarm arguement does drive me insane. There were proposals in this part of the country a couple of years ago to shove a windfarm up on the mountains around here, which got shot down in a flame of public vitriol. Sure they're hardly a work of art, but I don't quite get the argument about them destroying the countryside. I live in the south Wales vallies for goodness sake...the area is quite literally build on coal. I didn't see anyone rallying in favour of shutting the coal mines down because they destroy the environment...indeed, the exact opposite is true. The hypocrisy in this is ironic more than anything else.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, windfarms are a real eyesore...while the coal industry blows up mountains to get at deep coal veins- then dumps the slurry into whatever river or stream is closest.

For them, it's less expensive to fight the EPA fines in court for years than it is to act responsibly.

My dream is to find an inexpensive home device that generates safe power- then make it publicly available on a non-profit basis to everyone, everywhere.
...completely destroying the various oil, coal and nuclear industries overnight.

When asked why I'd forgo billions in profits from marketing such a device I'd reply "Just to fuck over those polluting assholes."

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

quote:
My dream is to find an inexpensive home device that generates safe power- then make it publicly available on a non-profit basis to everyone, everywhere.
You could find it. If you spoke Hovito.

I hear some good stuff about tide pumps outside coastlines, but humanity probably won't really put their back into it until things start looking really grim.
Speaking of grim, the only time I've encountered thorium before was in 2004, when I killed a Sullustan for some of the stuff. Made a nice boom.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when we all die and become the next layer of resources for something to mine/exploit... i hope we cause cancer...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the day they were saying we have 50 years of oil and gas resources left, which was true according to the economy at the time. Now that supply is starting to go down and prices go up, locations that were deemed to expensive to extract from are now becoming profitable. Like the Alberta oil sands. Previous deposits offshore that were extracted to the break-even point before are being re-visited to extract that last little bit that is profitable again. And so on.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Personally, I love how global warming and the melting icecaps are allowing countries like Russia, Norway, Canada and the US to drill further and further north as the glaciers break up. Perhaps one day they'll glance up from the trough long enough to figure out WHY the ice is melting in the first place.

As for how much is left, I really don't see everyone waiting around until literally the last well runs dry before switching over to something else. Whatever happens, it's going to be chaos in the middle east in general and Saudi Arabia in particular (even by their standards.) I imagine the only way most of those economies are going to have a chance of surviving is if solar power becomes very efficient and very exportable.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps