Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » It's life, Jim, but not as we know it!

Author Topic: It's life, Jim, but not as we know it!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/12/nasa-finds-new-life/

Frickin' awesome! A completely independent lineage of life on this planet. (If I'm reading the article correctly, it's stating that it's got no relationship to phosphorous-based DNA.) And it's on this planet.

If this planet can evolve life more than once, then surely there are plenty of other places out there where life has developed. I think our universe just got a bit more crowded today.

EDIT: Okay, reading another article, it's reading like the bacteria simply adapted to its environment and used arsenic to replace phosphorous. That makes sense too and is no less exciting, because it proves that life is sustainable with different elements.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if Gizmodo is a girl cause that crack about STD was hillarious...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gizmodo is a Web site. It says right under the picture that the author is that site's Jesus Diaz, whom I would assume to be male.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been there! I stood sweating, on the awful-smelling, fly-swarm covered shores of Mono Lake several years ago when on a trip back from Vegas.

It is, without a doubt, the single worst place I have ever been to- ever.
Our tour guide (some grad student) was going on and on about it's ecological uniqueness and how it needs to be preserved as a national park- I kept thinking "Why? This place is a hellhole."

Shows what I know!

The lake's saline content makes these weird "sculptures" of salt in the lake itself and the only thing they knew that grew there was bacteria, which the swarms of flies ate, which in turn fed the swarms of birds which pooped in the lake (feeding the bacteria and microbes -and occasionally birds, being overcome from the fumes die and fall in- getting rapidly disolved by the lake).

It was a microcosm ecology- and I could appreciate that, but my leg wound was very bad back then and just being close to the lake was excruciating- by the time the tour was over, I was exhausted- and wanted nothing more than to be as far away from there as possible! I was shaking.

Gotta tell my pal Chris- he's the one that decided to go there in the first place!

I bet they finally get that National Park status!

I can not imagine going to work there every day (discovery not withstanding)- it's the bleakest, most depressing place on our planet....I think the bacteria swapped the phosphorus to arsenic as an attempt at mass suicide. [Wink]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I can not imagine going to work there every day (discovery not withstanding)- it's the bleakest, most depressing place on our planet....I think the bacteria swapped the phosphorus to arsenic as an attempt at mass suicide. [Wink]

I take it you've never been to Swindon? [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No..what a Swindon? Does it have thousands of flies and smell like salt, death and biirdshit?
Must have high property values!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If only it was that pleasant.

--------------------

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
thousands of flies and smell like salt, death and biirdshit?

That would be a popular meal in Swindon! More classy than lobster stuffed with caviar!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It's amusing enough that Swindon's webpage has no pictures of the place..
http://www.swindon.gov.uk/

Really- what sort of place has no glamor-shots of it's city? Even New Jersey has some nice (if misleading) photos of gardens or whatever.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

That would be because it's Dante's inferno incarnate and if they showed pictures then nobody would go there. It even has it's own five circles of hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swindon's_Magic_Roundabout

Now that's a town that doesn't want people escaping once they're in. I escaped that thing once by following the postman. He seamed to know where to go.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Was the postman named Virgil?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps