Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Watch out!!

Author Topic: Watch out!!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone. I'm sure SOME of you may have heard about the devestating floods in my city of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. An area the size of Texas or France and Germany combined was underwater.

Luckily where I live wasn't affected - not living near the rivers - but I know people who were. So many houses ruined and underwater, so much stinking brown sludge. ~30 lives lost.

That was a week or so ago... now we are faced with this:

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgmscol.html

!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's akin to Hurrican Katrina - possibly bigger. The biggest Tropical Cyclone to ever hit Australia.

It is 400km wide (about 250 miles). Luckily we won't feel it in Brisbane, but the populated tropical Queensland Coast will. Especially the city of Cairns.

They are predicting wind speeds of about 300kmph! (nearly 200 miles per hour)!

That's just CRAZY!

I thought I'd put something here cause having a flip around the American and British news channels - there is nothing. CNN, BBC, CNBC, FoxNews.

Why don't we have a weather modification net yet?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a radar shot of this storm approaching AUS this morning on 4chan. I saw it and said 'oh shit'. [Frown]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, you guys have been getting quite hosed- and no, the media here are not talking about it: not when we can obsess over how the prospect of Egyptian democracy affects us.

You need flashier disasters...or possibly some celebrities to go tour the devasatation.

..and Andrew: we do have weather modification.
Your cheapsakte government dd not pay their protection money and now we have to make an example.
They said it was coincidence when we tested the device last year...
We gotta pay off that national debt somehow, dont we?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah....Egyptian Democracy will end up being just like the democratic government in place in Iran.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a new image... so big!

http://realtime2.bsch.au.com/vis_sat.html?region=nqld&loop=no&images&allday&start&stop

There was a recent announcement by the police basically saying... your roof will lift off, but just stay inside.

So glad I don't live up there!

It is 10x the size of Cyclone Tracey that decimated Darwin in 1974. They also think that it will REMAIN a cyclone all the way to the Northern Territory! Usually they turn into rain depressions as they cross the coast.

Maybe someone brought a touchstone through the Stargate?

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Trouble grasping the enormity of this cyclone?

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/how-cyclone-yasi-compares-around-the-world/story-fn7ik2te-1225998762870

Check that out.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeesh!

I've got the Today Show on right now (one of our major networks' morning news shows). Been on for 20 minutes and they just stopped talking about Egypt. Nothing about Australia. Though, in fairness, we're dealing with something of a weather problem here too. Lots and lots of snow. I'm working from home today.

EDIT: They just mentioned it for about 10 seconds. Showed some people evacuating.

[ February 02, 2011, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Aban Rune ]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

The cyclone has just crossed the coast. The eye is passing over Mission Beach between Cairns and Townsville. There were reports of 9m (30 foot) waves in Townsville earlier - usually - due to the Great Barrier Reef - there are next to no waves.

--------------------

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Motherfuckerfuckingcuntnatureisgonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuoooooooooooooooo......

seriously, atm i am sorta doing this pray thingie i rarely do (since i think organized religion is mostly shit about getting power over the stupid)... and yeah, im pretty sure the offical word at most bars and pubs is 'who gives a fuck?' to Aussy's woes (but we can be horribly short-sighted at times) with all the snow and the joyous flooding we'll enjoy in the spring as a result...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew- hunker down and dont be suprised to find the world a very flat place when the storm passes- I was in Hurricane Andrew (ironic, no?) and that was a category 5 storm too.
Flattened every tree in the neighborhood I grew up in and I never went back.

Are you in the storm's path at all?

quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
yeah....Egyptian Democracy will end up being just like the democratic government in place in Iran.

Yeah, Iran has quietly exected over 80 oposition members -in January alone- on various trumped up charges while the world's attention has been on Egypt.
They're showing the Greens that following Tunsia and Egypt's example is a fatal mistake.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Thanks for the thoughts Jason - luckily I'm in Brisbane - and the Cyclone is in Far North Queensland - it hit the coast between Cairns and Townsville and is till heading across inland at the moment. It has been downgraded - but it is relatively unheard of to have a cyclone head 1000km inland. It will probably still be a category 1 cyclone this evening when it will probably hit Mount Isa which is a mining town near the QLD/NT border!

Brisbane had the floods earlier in January. Luckily and thankfully we were no where near the floods. Although, as I said so many people were. The flash flooding that hit Toowoomba - West of Brisbane was likened to an inland tsunami. I'm sure a lot of you probably saw those images on the TV or the 'net?

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They showed some pictures this morning on the news. It looks terrible. Glad you're ok though.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps