Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » More badass than the movies! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: More badass than the movies!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes real life is crazier than the movies.

If I saw this happen in a movie I'd think it was impossibly contrived hollywood hackery, but this guy...
Amazing.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fucking nuts... in a good way. watch, some producer in china will probably make a move about that shit...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The CGC is second only to the Victoria Cross -- the highest honour for bravery in the face of the enemy."

What the hell do you have to do to get one of those then?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Get killed in the process I think...well, not always, but they very rarely give those out these days. Only a handful have been awarded since WWII if I recall correctly and I think the last one was a posthumous award. Actually, looking a wikipedia, it claims there's only three living VC recipients still around and two of them are Gurkhas. You really don't want to mess with those guys.

Still, it's a bit of a mystery to me how exactly they can quantify different degrees of 'valour in the face of the enemy' and decide who deserves which award.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure it can be political sometimes. If command sees an angle, wants to score points with the nation the soldier is from (alive or dead), or if they think the division needs the morale boost. I'm sure they like having reasons to give out these things, I would. Not that I think this case is bogus, though.

My father trained maneuvers with the Gurkhas in Congo-Kinshasa while he was in the UN Peacekeeping forces in the 60's, during the scrap with Tshombe. They were very good knife throwers, he said. They used to stick a short, thick plank into the ground and then throw their bayonets (not the khukris) at it for hours. During downtime.
He once chauffeured one of their colonels to an airstrip at night, and halfway there the short and thin little man told my dad to stop the jeep. So he did, the man got out, walked slowly to the front side of the vehicle, came back with a cobra. He kept it in his lap part of the way, then chucked it over his head into the jungle as they approached the airstrip.

Another night my dad drove him to some base. The guard at the entrance was a tall, young and burly Dane, who'd given my dad grief before. He started to pester and chew out my dad about his papers or something. The colonel gets out of the jeep, walks up there and demands to know what's going on, and the Dane leans down and gets into the colonel's face too. So he grabs the Dane by the throat and sweeps him down on the ground, choking him out. Then back in to the truck, "Ok, let's go".
My dad learned later the little man was a prince of the Thai royal family at the time. He told me these stories when we cleaned the attic and I found the box with the black Khukri and the Gurkha bayonet in it. My dad had some african tribal weaponry and stuff too, some spears, but I always liked the khukri and bayonet the most as a kid.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure he was talking about a Gurkha? For one thing I don't think Gurkha ranks go as high as Colonel (they're usually commanded by British Army officers) and secondly, Gurkhas are from Nepal, not Thailand. Indeed, I don't think we've ever had a very good relationship with the Thai since back when the country was still called Siam.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone can be a ghurka officer, only nepalese can be the soldiers.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

^ I honestly can't think of any situation in which a Thai prince would command Ghurkas. At least I'm not aware of any Ghurka regiments in any army besides ours, the Indians' and of course the Nepalese Army.

Even so, *he* wouldn't be any more of a Gurkha than a British commander.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Anyone can be a ghurka officer, only nepalese can be the soldiers.

So my dream can still come true!
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New from WayneCorp...
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
New from WayneCorp...

And how long before that's illegal?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the inventor does intend it for use by law enforcement, so I'm guessing its not for civilian use.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Sure- that was the idea behind the Glock, as I recall- untill the company decided it could make a ton of money selling to everyone.

Whatever, it's a glove- it's not stopping bullets.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I could see it being used by private security types, though I'm not sure if it'd be legal over here as it is. I'm pretty sure tazers are classed as offensive weapons and only especially trained police are allowed to use them. Could be wrong though.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Over here you can own whatever crazy non-military ordinance or weapons you want.
We're fucking insane.
Tasers? Try Dragon Breath fireball rounds for shotguns- yes, it turns a shotgun into a flamethrower.
So legal, it's scary.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps