Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Now our Ships look like they came from video games. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Now our Ships look like they came from video games.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how many have seen the new LCS class of ships but here is an image. They look like they came out of the Rise of Nations video game.

-

Sadly, the basic premise is not sound, the ships are critically undermanned AND they are not projected to be survivable in a combat situation.....say WHU?!?!?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does it do? Seems like an odd design for a surface vessel.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's supposed to be a shallow draft multi-mission configurable craft. Kind of a close in to shore Swiss Army Knife of a boat. There are two prototypes under consideration. LCS-1 USS Freedom and LCS-2 USS Independence (Pictured above).

To me it seems to fall into the British mindset/trap of trying to make one ship or plane do everything. It MAY be able to do everything, but it will never do ANY ONE THING well. (With apologies to the Limeys on this forum)

It is also already DISINTEGRATING.

Video of LCS-2 underway.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems to me like this is the Navy's version of the CV-22. I don't particularly understand the need for it, especially when we have those amphibious assault mini-carriers.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a trimaran, and I was of the impression that it was inspired by the very successful norwegian Skjöld-class patrol boat, since the US loaned a few Skjölds during the early planning days of the competing LCS projects, then returned them with a "Thank you, not interested" letter, and started cracking.
Of course, building it three times longer and thrice as tall as the Skjöld would create strains on the structure when the engines (working on surface effect power) approach the 50-knot range, wouldn't it.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*mumbles* don't know, don't care, didn't get my surface pin. i'm a fucking airdale, don't give a flying fuck about Surface... that is a nice pic however... that video i clicked off after a min, just politicing (buy our ship, not the other one)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like it becomes the shield of a giant robot...
Is that a 5" gun up front? I wanna see that used on Solamai pirates....

Also, are those cruise missile tubes behind the turret? Kinda look like it..(might be wishful thnking for the "swiss army boat" but still...)

Also, as a Trek Modeler, I approve of the subtle aztecing...but it needs some transporter emitters to brig the design together- maybe use some photo-etched brass for those instead of a decal.
P.E. always looks better.

I christen this ship....Defiant!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Member # 1203

i dont think those are tubes, Jason. you gotta... wont explain why but im pretty sure it just has the 5in gun and small arms. if the guidance and aim is good on it, it should be fine for pirate hunting. still thing Burkes or the older FFGs are better for pirate duty... then again, i also think we should sink 'em first, UNREP to reload later...

--------------------

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

It's a Bofors 57 MM Gun. Here is the Specs.

2002 Test Firing of Bofors 57MM

--------------------

Teh PW
Member # 1203

*mumbles* Air Pin... but TU for looking it up. Im still dont see the need for it but the Navy's always gone back and forth on ships it needs (and dont) depending on who's at the WH...

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never got why they dont use the Phalanx anti-missile system as an offensive weapon.
Waaay back in the early 90's I did a tour of the USS Conelly and they were talking about doing that for patroling coastlines...but later used the ship as target practice instead.

Sad, but you can google the video of the sinking- via Mexican (IIRC) helicopter gunship dring joint manuvers.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Member # 1203

offensive? part of the problem is, one, it chews ammo... two, that ammo is slightly radioactive, being depleated uranium and all... plus, what if you miss and you have a friendly foolishly on the otherside? eventually those rounds will splash...

mostly i think it is the ammo consuption issue why the CIWS isnt good for offensive use...

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, you dont have to use it full bore to ace some inbound speedboats full of pirates or terrorists or whatever.
Short, friendly bursts of depleted uranium death. [Smile]

More defensive against seabound or land targets than offensive, really, but still impressive against shoreline emplacments and the occasional speedo-clad sunbather.

Anti piracy deterant from hell.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though, as a swede, I'm sworn to brand loyalty to IKEA, Bofors and ombudsmen, I am partial to the 35mm Oerlikon Millennium gun.
That's not a prototype, it's been in service for eight years. I know a 35 mm round can't do damage the same way a 100 mm round can, but the sheer weight of lead on target in such a small frame of time...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Great for home defense!I invoke my Second Amendment rights to stupidity!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps