Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » 61 senators refuse to meet with their constituents before the Jan 24 SOPA/PIPA vote.

Author Topic: 61 senators refuse to meet with their constituents before the Jan 24 SOPA/PIPA vote.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/oe3mf/these_61_senators_are_refusing_to_meet_with_their/

I know if this tripe passes in the US, Europe is soon to follow.

Hound your senators, hold their feet to the fire.

EDIT: Jack Reed (D, RI) has come around. Progress. ^_^

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, Democracy to the highest bidder.

I'm rarely one for knee jerk reprisals, but voting that group of assholes out of office over this sounds pretty right to me.

Of course, if every outraged Reddit reader actually fired off a text or tweet to their Senator (and Congressman) explaining that their voting for this will cost them your vote...maybe the people's voice would match that of the lobbiests for a day....

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much I can do about this yet. But rest assured, if they try to pass something like this shit in Canada, I will hound people.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
Not much I can do about this yet. But rest assured, if they try to pass something like this shit in Canada, I will hound people.

Same here. I download old games from piratebay like Civilization 2 and other games you would never find anywhere else. If it's a new game like Skyrim, I'd rather buy a legit copy with a bitchin dragon statue and not have to have a permanent internet connection or be logged in to some security thing to be able to play (looking at Ubisoft among others)

As much as the US gov and hollywood want to eliminate online piracy it's probably going to go over about as well as the "war on drugs".

So while SOPA probably won't affect my life much, I oppose it on principle. On the principle that it's stupid to try to control the internet.

Anyways I'm going to go play that new expansion for X3: Terran Conflict, my new flagship carrier is almost done and I need to go commit some space piracy to make money for capital ship weapons and maybe buy some more fighters. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very lucid entry into the debate, by publisher Tim O'Reilly.

Excerpt:
quote:
Any company that is providing great content online in a way that’s easy to use with a fair price has a booming business right now. The people who don’t are trying to fight that future.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:

And here you go. We here in Canada are apparently in the process of passing Bill C-11, which is more insidious than SOPA/PIPA. Click here

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps