Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The "Enterprise" name (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The "Enterprise" name
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is outside the Sci-Fi world of these forums, but there is an online petition to have the third Ford class nuclear carrier, CVN-80, be named "Enterprise". The current vessel CVN-65 is scheduled to be decommissioned in either 2013 or 2014.

For me, it was my fondness for the name Enterprise from my WW2 history studies that led me into the world of Star Trek as a kid. The series would not have been the same to me if the ship had been named "Yorktown" or such. There has always been something about the name ENTERPRISE that has resonated with me from the legendary exploits of Halsey to the battles of Midway and Guadalcanal. There should ALWAYS be a U.S.S. Enterprise in the United States Navy.

http://www.petitiononline.com/CVN80ENT/petition.html

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree. Unfortunately the naming of these ships is a hugely political affair these days, and naming aircraft carriers after people is the trend (almost anoyingly so - they've been naming ships after still-living retired politicians lately).

I seriously hope they can name a ship Enterprise too, but I'm pretty pessimistic on the chances. It worked for a space shuttle, but it won't for a zillion dollar war machine which is built on politics as much as it is steel...

I read that a bunch of vets tried to get the second Ford-class carrier named "America", which failed (they named her after JFK) but an amphibious assualt ship ended up as "America". It's not the most glamourous ship ever, but if the next Enterprise ends up as an LHA (it's still a carrier, but more for helicopters and VTOL aircraft like the hopefully-still-coming F-35B), it's not a bad consolation prize.

Still, Trek history never said anything about another sea-going vessel named Enterprise after the current one. As such, I'm holding out for NASA to suddenly unveil a ring-shaped FTL ship...

Mark

[ February 21, 2012, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm, I know she's not American, but the Royal Navy do have an Enterprise.

She's just not as big and showy as the Big-E - I think (perhaps more appropraitely for her fictional namesake) she's a research vessel.

Removeing my tongue from my cheek though, and not being American myself, the name has never held as much ressonance with me. To me Enterprise is the one off Star Trek. Could easily heve been anything else.

As for cocking about with navies, the MOD decided to scrap our flagship carrier, Ark Royal five years early. A troop carrier landing vessel became flagship and we won't have a carrier until at least 2016. They even hope to have F-35s flying off it by 2020. Marvellous.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least you guys still HAVE a carrier. Not that we ever really needed one, but Canada's been without an aircraft carrier or naval planes for forty years...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone has already forgotten that the reason the name Enterprise is famous in the first place is because the CV-6 was one of the most successful and most decorated warships in the history of the US Navy.

The names for carriers has gotten more and more ridiculous. Many of these politicians had little to do with the Navy. (I mean, Gerald Ford? Really?)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to defend Ford, but he was in the Navy for 4 years on carriers during the Second World War and went on to be president.

So he wasn't a very good one, but when was that ever important?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention all the recent politician names have all been US Presidents who technically are the highest ranking members of the military. So I guess that is the reasoning behind the relevance between the Navy and these "politicians"

Speaking of which, has there been any carriers named after Democratic Presidents?

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truman and Kennedy were both Democrats.

And yes, the President is Commander-in-Chief of the Navy, along with all the other military services.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Truman was POTUS during WWII and JFK was just a badass so that explains those two. Somehow, I don't feel there's going to be a USS William Clinton.

And if they name a carrier after the current prez, they're most definitely going to include the Hussein like I see fashionable among the super-conservatives on the interwebz.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until the last several carriers, they didn't seem to have a naming pattern. Like USS Ranger and USS Constellation. USS Kitty Hawk I get, named for Kitty Hawk, North Carolina where the Wright brothers built and tested their aircraft.

Most subs are usually named for cities and states, cruisers for military battles, and destroyers for notable enlisted and officers.

Currently it seems carriers are named after presidents.

But then I also read about a new ship and who it's named after and I think, "Really? This guy?" For example the John C. Stennis, a senator from Mississippi who, according to wikipedia, "Stennis was a strong supporter of racial segregation. In the 1950s and 1960s he vigorously opposed the Voting Rights Act, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as well as the Civil Rights Act of 1968 and he signed the Southern Manifesto of 1956..." The only reason I think they named a carrier after him was to make the US Senate Committee on Armed Services happy.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss the days when names like "Tigerfish" and "Nautilus" where thrown around. I don't wish the action back but, you know.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They may not name a carrier after Slick Willie but I can just see a big ol' supertanker named the "H.R. Clinton".

I actually think I remember that line from Seaquest DSV.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Until the last several carriers, they didn't seem to have a naming pattern. Like USS Ranger and USS Constellation. USS Kitty Hawk I get, named for Kitty Hawk, North Carolina where the Wright brothers built and tested their aircraft.

Most subs are usually named for cities and states, cruisers for military battles, and destroyers for notable enlisted and officers.

Currently it seems carriers are named after presidents.

But then I also read about a new ship and who it's named after and I think, "Really? This guy?" For example the John C. Stennis, a senator from Mississippi who, according to wikipedia, "Stennis was a strong supporter of racial segregation. In the 1950s and 1960s he vigorously opposed the Voting Rights Act, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as well as the Civil Rights Act of 1968 and he signed the Southern Manifesto of 1956..." The only reason I think they named a carrier after him was to make the US Senate Committee on Armed Services happy.

Well didn't they name that plane that Dubya flew the Spirit of Strom Thurmond, another "great" American. At this rate I think we'll have ships named after John Wilkes Booth and Jefferson Davis.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should crew the Stennis with all african-Americans. Just as a post-mortem fuck you to that bozo.
They could call it a tribute- after all, he was for segregation... [Wink]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gerald Ford was also never elected to the executive office either, replacing Agnew, then Nixon.

Yeah, being a LtCDR in the Navy, serving aboard a carrier, on which he lead the fire brigade and saved the ship, the CLV-26 USS Monterey, after Admiral Halsey had ordered it abandoned. Ingersoll, Monterey's CO had Ford lead the fire brigade after this order was issued.

It could be construed as a fitting name....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps