Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » S.F.H.

Author Topic: S.F.H.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four years ago, I accepted a position at a market research firm just outside Washington, DC. For three months I had a three to four hour daily commute from Baltimore before I finally moved to DC. My commute dropped to about 45 minutes each way.

I found p/t employment at a downtown Borders. Worked there for three years. When it closed, I went to a local art house cinema.

Last May, I applied for a position at a major DC university. They rejected me in September. When the position relisted in October, I reapplied.

They contacted me in December for a phone interview.

I had a second phone interview in early February.

Two weeks ago they contacted me for an in office interview, which I had a week ago.

Today, they offered me a job.

So. Fucking. Happy.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, any chance you can be a little less vague and tell us what you'll be doing at this new job? [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! I'm going in for a new tutoring job. Wish me luck.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations. As someone who is myself almost 2-1/2 years unemployed I know how hard it is to get a good job.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
So, any chance you can be a little less vague and tell us what you'll be doing at this new job? [Smile]

Hey, Maintenence Technician is a time honored and vital position in any university. [Wink]

Really, Congradulations, ya academic so-and-so!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to be working as a prospect researcher in the development office - working to identify folks & organizations who might be inclined to make "major gifts" (25k and up).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woohoo! Congrats Snay!

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where have you been all this time...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
I'm going to be working as a prospect researcher in the development office - working to identify folks & organizations who might be inclined to make "major gifts" (25k and up).

Sweet! Start at the yacht club and work down from there... [Wink]
Do you actually have to schmooze these wealthy potential donors or just target them to schmoozing?

What are the university's strenghs and activities? For example, a research-driven campus will attract donations from like minded people, as will religous schools (dont expect a check from Jesus though- he's broke as a joke).
Former Alumni that made it big are likely suckers....er..."contributors". Fraternity guys too have a love for their schools that prys open wallets.

Celebrities and crooks are good sources as well- the occasional Chris Brown or Madoff family member might look to improve their rep with some charitible gift.

And if all that fails, there's always blackmail as a fallback plan.

But hey, that was probably on your resume already.

Anyway, in the immortal words of our Lord and Savior Leslie Neilson:
Good Luck: we're all counting on you.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps