Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » What's that movie? - Animated 80's Cowboy edition

Author Topic: What's that movie? - Animated 80's Cowboy edition
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been trying to find the name of this cartoon movie I saw in the 80's, don't know if it's US made or dutch or other. It starts with a little girl whose father (maybe a sheriff) gets shot dead by outlaws, and his little daughter inherits some important coin from his belongings, then she meets a walking talking short brown-grey cat with a cowboy hat who signs on for her case of revenge. There might also be a fat jolly, suavely dressed bear who at one point fights soldier wolves in the street and humiliates them. I also have a memory of a bandit from the enemy gang messily eating a cream pastry.

Anyone?
I liked it because contrary to other lukewarm cartoons from the 80's, it had some scary elements that made it more engaging. The reason I want to find it is because watching movies I saw between the age of 4-7 (and then never again), it gives these really nice flashbacks and memories, Proust-style, which, like fossil fuel, is a finite energy source. I recently rewatched "Under the volcano" and got mindraped because I didn't realize I'd seen just the ending before as a wee boy, not knowing it belonged to that movie. That was unpleasant, but it left some promise for finding other long-lost movies.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No idea, but whatever it is, sounds like a bit of a blatant 'True Grit' rip off. [Wink]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it anime?
Sounds more like their style- as American animated anything from back them was geared towards young kids.

Was this sci fi as well as...er...crazy?
I'm thinking it was Bravestar or possibly Galaxy Rangers (which was quite cool for the time).
If it's anime related, there's Saber Rider and the Star Sherriffs.

None of these involve bears or wolves or little girls -though it could have been some flashback episode, I suppose.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it was sci-fi, it was definitely in period garb and with blackpowder weapons, with merely the suspension of disbelief regarding a talking cat. He was short and stocky, like a grey-black Heathcliff, and I remember the family sitting around a table and the girl giving the coin to the cat-guy, and him biting into it to check authenticity, before taking the job of defending her or something.

It seemed western-made, I would've remembered if the women had looked Minmei-like or Cheetarah-ish. To my knowledge my first ever asian cartoon was Space Battleship Yamato.

It felt related to another animated movie I saw at about age 8, cartoon movie set in maybe the US civil war, or later but with people in the same blue uniforms and kepis. It was pretty light-hearted, lots of people with big noses and slapstick (though I recall seeing many wounded and head-bandages), but in one scene they were attacked by "indians" and one of the wounded got killed by an arrow, was pretty WTF to an 8-year old.

Now that I think about it, both the cowboy-cat movie and this one could've been made in the 70's, but the cat-one was a rental my parents got for us.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An American Tail: Fievel goes West is the only one I can think of.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That does sound vaguely familiar... But I have found nothing. Would pouring through these help?

List_of_animated_feature_films:_1970s

List_of_animated_feature_films:_1980s

(It was maybe four years ago I had a similar experience trying to track down what eventually turned out to be The Mysterious Cities Of Gold I just remembered several young characters being pursued by Spanish explorers, the protagonists escaping on huge mechanical condor and somewhere in the background there being some mystical apocalyptic overtones.)

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
An American Tail: Fievel goes West is the only one I can think of.

Used to love that movie when I was a kid.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
Member # 205

Thanks for the tips, bX. I plowed through both wikilists of animated features but didn't find it, probably was one of the red-linked ones, or lacking description. Pleh.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.