Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Star Trek CGI Bridge Replacement

Author Topic: Star Trek CGI Bridge Replacement
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kevin George does a prototype full background replacement on a TOS episode, giving the old lady a paintjob.

Pay attention to Uhura's consoles.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AWESOME. Brilliant work. Need to see more. Did he ever do any more? The sky is the limit with what you could do!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's pretty impressive. I'm not sure it's that much better-looking, but then, I'm partial to the classic look even if it's a bit dated.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it looks pretty good, although I don't agree with the usage of MCARS. I think displays somewhere between MCARS and those on NX-01 would look appropriate.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's amazing- I wish they had updated stuff like the displays for the recent DVD update.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But why? What does it add to the show? And how does it even really make the show look less dated, given the host of other elements that clearly mark it out as a 1960s production? It just makes it look like some weird Frankenstein-esque amalgam IMO.

As a demonstration of skill (which is what he intended this as) it is indeed impressive. As an attempt to "improve" Star Trek it is a complete waste of time.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It adds to the show by making it less dated in that TOS is still supposed to be in the far future- so stuff like toggle switches and flip-chronometers look beyond dated: they look cheap.
What this guy did was not only keep much of TOS' stylistic choices and color pallate, but bridge those updated designs to the TMP look, making the transition between TOS and the TMP refit look like twenty years leap forward in technology instead of 200.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Far future from the point of view of the 1960s. Even with the changes you describe, everything from the costumes and hairstyles to (most importantly) the attitudes, subject matter, and conventions of the stories themselves still don't permit it to feel like the far future from the point of view of today. Trying for that is and will always be a futile pursuit. It is an artifact of a particular time and set of production values and techniques, and attempting to remove it from the context that gives it significance can only lessen that significance, not add to it. (IMO, of course.)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. I can argue this both ways, to be honest. A really dated effect can take you out of the show, but "added-CGI" often means you spend your time looking for what changed, rather than just watching the show.

It's weird though. The repeats of TOS that are on over here are only ever of the remastered version, so I'm now pretty used to that, and that involved pretty drastic changes compared to TNG-R. But then, TNG had the advantage of twenty years of SFX advancement and a much bigger budget, so I can see why they adopted a more "scape away the dirt" approach, rather than a "wipe and replace".

Sooooo... I dunno. I've never thought the hairstyles were especially dated, though, mainly because most of them are relatively conservative. Certainly they're less dated than the 70s-sideburns on most of the A New Hope cast.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.