Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Coronavirus Flares Up [a SitRep thread] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Coronavirus Flares Up [a SitRep thread]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It’s all a little surreal. I can work from home for my job, even though I manage a research laboratory, I can do it, basically from home. Got so much “at home” work to keep me busy, it’s not funny. So that’s a good thing. It is weird now leaving the house to shop. I feel so DIRTY when I get home. This is going to play havoc with people’s OCD tendencies I reckon. Worried about parentals catching it. As they are that age. They are being generally well behaved. As a majority extrovert, I’m feeling it in terms of not personally interacting with my team at work.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surreal is the word. What's weirder is being outdoors or whatever and almost forgetting that the old normal is gone right now.

- It's also been disturbing to see so many coronavirus truther types online, largely composed of people who know very little about biology and who cannot do even rudimentary math. It's as if people cannot accept the new biological reality and so wrap themselves in various forms of comfortable stupidity.

- I'd bought a few extra things in mid-February before the sudden realization of crisis hit everyone, and when I went for more in March they were all gone. Dry milk powder and UHT milk (rare in the States), for instance, and extra gloves. Fortunately I already had some old N95s laid up, because I didn't buy any in that first round, and the strategic TP stockpile was already good. However, I now have enough peanut butter to sink a battleship because I apparently kept purchasing it without remembering I had already done so.

One nice thing I am finding is that I've bought a shitload of mostly 91% rubbing alcohol over the years, so I can spray-decon damn near anything.

Additionally, if it comes down to it, I bought high-octane Everclear and aloe in gel and liquid, so can make my own hand sanitizer, and if I use the drinkable aloe liquid I could even party with it if I don't need to use it topically.

- Take care not to allow the backs of your hands to get a sunburn, even a mild one. That plus excess handwashing and occasional hand sanitizer can create an uncomfortable situation of cracking and even bleeding. In a pinch, you can cut the fingers off of gloves and use that to contain a Neosporin/aloe treatment overnight, but in my experience it won't resolve as quickly as you'd think or hope.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It’s been a good reason to start to work through our Brexit stockpiles. For instance we found a recipe for peach & chickpea curry, and it’s much better than it sounds. We usually buy TP in bulk anyway from a cash & carry, but we just got more this time...

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doing good here. Work for me is consulting, project-based, so I'm still visiting loss sites and doing what work comes in. I already had a cartridge respirator and other PPE for fire scene investigations, so I'm reasonably safe. Employer is stable, so I don't expect financial stress. Family is healthy, hoping the extended family stays that way. Pretty much everyone left is 65+, and some aren't operating on a full set of lungs...
Capt. Kaiser
Member # 10511

- posted      Profile for Capt. Kaiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im still working cus im a Janitor a few places and working 6 days a week [Smile]

--------------------
If your not laughing your not living

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lockdown coincided with the start of the nice weather here, and all in all it’s been a nice year for that - we spent lots of time in the garden, got lots done in the garden too. So I really can’t get to grips with how sudden autumn (fall) has appeared. Here, it was quite literally “21 September? First day of autumn? ‘Ave it!” It’s like the lack of structure to the year - kids off school for six months, no traditional (i.e. foreign) summer holiday, has stripped out the usual context through which we observe and process the passage of time. And at no point has it felt like the year has passed quickly, but at the same time we keep thinking, how can it be Halloween next week?!

(And yet conversely, perversely, November 3rd feels like it’s going to take a long time to get to - and then we’ll know it’s over, one way or the other...)

I went back to work in June, starting at two days and working up gradually to full time. In my job, I found it was easier to be full time as every day off meant more emails to catch up on (we get about a hundred per day in my role). But the way things are going here - 20,000 new cases, 200+ deaths per day - it feels like second, or circuit breaker lockdowns can’t be far away.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All well here. A few acquaintances have gotten it, so far all have recovered. Kept the kids out of preschool. I'm a forensic consultant, so I travel a lot for various jobs, but lately I've been running one very large one for several months, instead of my usual twenty at a time. So I get to go to a controlled environment every day where people aren't in my face, and continue being productive and getting paid. Could be a lot worse.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Colorado during the spring and summer the case count was pretty low, but during the month of October it's spiked and doubled from the spring time high.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG. Omega has KIDS. This is altogether too much.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.