Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » My kind of drinking game

Author Topic: My kind of drinking game
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a movie drinking game! Perhaps not as famous as the "Withnail & I" drinking game, where you drink whatever the characters drink, when they drink it - but then, that may be because I invented this one.

Tonight on Channel 4 in the UK they're showing Ice Cold In Alex, a British movie made in 1958 by J. Lee Thompson. It stars John Mills, Sylvia Sims, Anthony Quayle and Harry Andrews. It follows an 8th Army ambulance crew commanded by Mills as they try to get back across the desert from behind enemy lines, dodging the Akrika Korps and the like. Sims is the nurse, Andrews the grizzled sergeant and driver, Quayle a mysterious South African officer they pick up along the way. It's a terrific tale of derring-do, in my mind a Great British Movie to rival The Italian Job - but why is it a drinking game?

Because of the title. Mills, a recovering alcoholic, tells them they'll drink a cold beer when they get to Alexandria. It's not giving away too much to say they do, and the scene is brilliant. They troop into the bar, get the barman to pour four glasses of beer, and then solemnly watch as Johnny Mills sinks his in one. It's gotta be Heineken, BTW - that's what it clearly is in the film (the scene was even used as a TV ad in the 1980s). And you drink too. The greatest beer scene ever in a movie, probably The Shawshank Redemption is the only one to come close.

So that's what I'll be doing shortly before 11pm tonight. 8)

------------------
Phase 1: Steal Underpants
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good summary number one. Only it's Carlsberg. And that may probably be the best beer in the world.

------------------
-Smooth as an androids butt, eh Data?
-Yes, and remarkably similar in appearance!

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you down a beer, and then sip one for each other person?

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you have ONE beer. That's it. It's a surreal drinking game. For my serious drinking, I don't watch movies. There's too much danger that you will wake up the next moring and think that The Flight Of The Navigator actually happened to you. . . God, that freaked me out.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scary. Especially since it happened to me too.

But even more scary was the time a 100-foot tall man made out of mashmellow tried to kill me and my mates. And for some reason, the only way we could kill him was by crossing our pee-pee.

------------------
"Ray...the next time someone asks you if you're a god you say 'Yes!'"
-Winston Zeddmore

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I played the Withnail and I drinking game slightly differently. Namely, I drank BEFORE watching the movie, then continued to drink while watching, and therefore considered it to be an incredibly hilarious movie.... one which I cannot remember the last hour of.
*LOL*

------------------
�From Me all things proceed and unto Me they must return. Let My worship be in the heart that rejoices, for behold � all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals. Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you. ... Know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without. For behold, I have been with you from the beginning, and I am that which is attained at the end of desire.�

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're talking about the tarring roof scene in Shawshank, are you?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah.. the antithesis of the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" Drinking Game.... drink every time someone says "Final Answer".

------------------
"Well, I guess we're an Ovaltine family."
"MORE OVALTINE PLEASE!"
-American Radio Ads... *gag*... one more reason I'm glad to be above the 49th.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd be out rather quickly, Tom.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still prefer the "Wizard of Oz" drinking game.
Drink ( a swallow) anytime anybody says "Dorothy," "Witch," or "Wizard."
The game starts off pretty slow.. but by the time you get through "Ding-Dong, the Witch is Dead" and "We're off to see the Wizard"...
I did this in grad school with a trailer full of women. Joy! Bliss! Rapture!

------------------
"We shall not yield to you, nor to any man." -- Freak, The Mighty.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still enjoy HiBob.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer the "Days of Our Lives" drinking game. It's more of my style. But then again, I don't use alcohol for this game, just sparkling cider...

------------------
"It's not right, but it's okay. I'm gonna make it anyway. Pack your bags, up and leave. Don't you dare come running back to me.

It's not right, but it's okay. I'm gonna make it anyway. Close the door behind, leave your key. I'd rather be alone than unhappy."

-Whitney Houston

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

I watched that a few years ago, what's the game??

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps