Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Diamond Rio PMP 300...

Author Topic: Diamond Rio PMP 300...
Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*just got one* *drooools*
Does anyone Else have one of these? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? *L*

If not, prepare to be amazed: Diamond Rio PMP 300 - Information and Specs

------------------
If my mind wasn't a total blank all the time, I'd have something creative written here. But it is. So sue me.
[ www.linneberg.com ] | [ [email protected] ]

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there a court challenge against this sort of player by the record companies? After all, 99.999% of the music that would be played on these things would be illegal, as in a violation of copyright. Not that I'm complaining personally, after all the music industry has been gouging people long enough, perhaps this will make them straighten up a bit. Then again, probably not.

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were me, and I am believed to be, I would just burn MP3s to CDs.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Stuff" - Nobody

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there was a court challenge, the Music companies lost the first round and backed off, for now.

------------------
"Think of all the delightful aspects of the reproductive process: menstruation, pregnancy, labor. And the part we're trying to eliminate is sex?" Cecil Adams the guy who does Straight Dope.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That ain't nothing yet...
Check this: www.pineusa.com

=\V/=

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*plays illegal music on his Diamond Rio* What of it? How many of you all listen to illegal mp3 music? Be honest!

This is no different than, say, copying the music onto a tape, recordable CD-Rom, or MiniDisc, or whatever....

------------------
If my mind wasn't a total blank all the time, I'd have something creative written here. But it is. So sue me.
[ www.linneberg.com ] | [ [email protected] ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, those are all illegal, too... :-)

------------------
"Alright, so it's impossible. How long will it take?"
-Commander Adams, Forbidden Planet

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, they're not illegal (at least, according to U.S. law). You are entitled to make as many copies as you want for your own personal use. Making copies for sale at the local swap meet, however, now THAT is illegal!

--Baloo

------------------
It is less important that you agree with me than it is for you to to understand what I'm saying.

http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited November 19, 1999).]

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've been reading, the RIAA has gone on another rampage that will stop the moment someone actually hauls 'em into court. They're threatening servers (mainly universities, I believe) with legal action unless they
-delete ALL MP3s (It's perfectly legal for me to rip my CD collection to MP3 and stick it on a web server--your own damn fault for downloading it.)
-provide contact info for any user who was storing MP3s on the server
-provide IP addresses for anyone who downloaded MP3s (yeah, that's gonna help)

I wrote this post while listening to Winamp play a song I downloaded using a nifty program called Napster. Anyone care to lay odds that I have the CD?

IP: Logged
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blank media costs more than it might because an additional fee is added to the price. This fee is distributed to the music industry.

Why? Well, you might copy some of their copyrighted material onto it and sell it (illegal in any case). It's as if the publishing industry required paper manufacturers to pay them for every sheet of paper they sold, just in case you copied something onto their product that they held the copyright on.

--Baloo

------------------
It is less important that you agree with me than it is for you to to understand what I'm saying.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allow me to elaborate on my previous comment: It's illegal to make copies of music you don't otherwise own legally. Which is what the majority of MP3s that people have are. Er... Not that I would know, of course... Er... Ah... *runs away*

------------------
"General Hammond: Request permission to beat the crap out of this man."
-Colonel O'Neill, Stargate: SG-1: "Bane"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

It is NOT, however, illegal to make a copy of something you do have and give it to a friend. The law gets hazy once it proceeds past that point. MP3 proponents argue that as long as no money changes hands, it constitutes fair use, while the producers of copyrighted material want it so you must pay them to make copies, even for fair use. Of course, if they could figure a legal way to do it, they'd like to just garnish our wages and not have to wory about whether we ever received any product.

My opinion? People were making fairly decent music by themselves and with friends before recording technology appeared. If the recording industry suddenly stopped producing Weird Al's products, I'm certain I could help a good lyricist compose something that was unique and good to listen to.

We'd all start making our own music (or doing without). I don't think that's a bad idea.

--Baloo

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps