Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Distress call

Author Topic: Distress call
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other day I got a "Brilliant Idea" (translation: I should've given it a bit more thought first) and went through all my fonts, deleting the redundant typefaces and eliminating fonts I figured I'd never use.

"Brilliant Idea" = "Bad Idea"

As I discovered (after emptying the recycle bin) some of my programs liked some of those fonts. After fooling around with the settings a bit, I found I could restore things to a semblance of normalcy by using the Large Fonts settings. Now everything looks funny, but at least it works.

My question: does someone have a list of the standard fonts needed to run Win95 programs properly? I'd like to restore everything to some semblance of "normal". If I had sucha list, I could root around my fonts folder and figure out what critical fonts are missing and try to get new copies.

Thanks in advance.

--Baloo

------------------
It is less important that you agree with me than it is for you to to understand what I'm saying.

http://members.tripod.com/~Bob_Baloo/index.htm

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True Type Font unless otherwise specified - not sure what an (A) file actually is, but that's what's on the icon.

Arial
Arial Black
Arial Bold
Arial Bold Italic
Arial Italic
Arial Narrow
Arial Narrow Bold, & Bold Italic, & Italic. . .
Arial Rounded MT Bold
Book Antiqua, & Bold, & Bold Italic, & Italic. . .
Bookman Old Style, & Bold, & Bold Italic, & Italic. . .
Brush Script MT Italic
Century Gothic, & Bold, & Bold Italic, & Italic. . .
Century Schoolbook, & Bold, & Bold Italic, & Italic. . .
Comic Sans MS, & Bold
Courier 10, 12, 15 (A)
Courier New, & Bold, & Bold Italic, & Italic. . .
Garamond, & Bold, & Italic. . .
Georgia, & Bold, & Bold Italic, & Italic. . .
Hattenschweiler
Impact
Map Symbols
Monotype Sorts
MS Sans Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24 (A)
MS Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24 (A)
MT Extra
r_ansi
r_ansi (A)
r control
r_control (A)
r_symbol
r_symbol (A)
Small Fonts (A)
Symbol 8,10,12,14,18,24
Tahoma
Tahoma Bold
Times New Roman, & Bold, & Bold Italic, & Italic. . .
Trebuchet MS, & Bold, & Bold Italic, & Italic. . .
Verdana, & Bold, & Bold Italic, & Italic. . .
Webdings
Wingdings

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I needed that.

Now to cross reference your list to my fonts and find the missing troublemakers.

Do you thing I could find the missing fonts at the µsoft website?

Once again, thanks!

------------------
It is less important that you agree with me than it is for you to to understand what I'm saying.

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure. . . might be an idea for me to check them against the list on my PC at home (where I am now) to see if it matches roughly with the fonts on my wrok PC, which SHOULD have all the same fonts as they've both got the standard W95 set-up. I'll do that now. . . if you wanna ICQ me the list of missing ones, I can mail the TTFs to you.

------------------
Remo Williams: "Chiun, you're amazing!"
Chiun: "No! I am BETTER than that!"

- Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous (1986)

Starfleet Weapons & Tactics

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

I finally got around to comparing the list of required fonts to the list of ones I still have.

The following fonts are missing:

Book Antiqua, & Bold, & Bold Italic, & Italic. . .
Courier 10, 12, 15 (A)
Impact
Map Symbols
Monotype Sorts
MS Sans Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24 (A)
MS Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24 (A)
MT Extra
r_ansi
r_ansi (A)
r control
r_control (A)
r_symbol
r_symbol (A)
Small Fonts (A)
Tahoma
Tahoma Bold

If The First One would be so kind, my email address is: [email protected] .

Thanks in advance!

--Baloo

------------------
"There are some upon this earth of yours, who lay claim to know us, and who do their deeds of passion, pride, ill-will, hatred, envy, bigotry, and selfishness in our name, who are as strange to us and all our kith and kin, as if they had never lived. Remember that, and charge their doings on themselves, not us."
-- The Ghost of Christmas Present (A Christmas Carol -- Charles Dickens)

The First One
Member # 35

OK, I'll put together a mail. Those r_whatever ones I won't include, though, as it looks like they might be related to some application I have at work. . . and they're not on my PC at home.
The First One
Member # 35

Sent. And nearly f***ed my PC just trying to get those fonts - you can't copy them from C:\Windows\Fonts, you have to move them out of that directory which de-registers them, which means that you can't use them so Windows itself starts to look funny. I'd say at least one of those fonts was very essential indeed. You might need to re-start your machine before you see any effect, mind.
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Thank you!

I received the files and unzipped them into my fonts folder and everything works just like it's supposed to. I can now revert to the smaller fonts without care.

Thanks again.

--Baloo

------------------
"There are some upon this earth of yours, who lay claim to know us, and who do their deeds of passion, pride, ill-will, hatred, envy, bigotry, and selfishness in our name, who are as strange to us and all our kith and kin, as if they had never lived. Remember that, and charge their doings on themselves, not us."
-- The Ghost of Christmas Present (A Christmas Carol -- Charles Dickens)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps